January 29, 2016

PREPPING YOUR BOOTS FOR COLD WEATHER

THE BEST WAX FOR WATER PROOFING LEATHER
Last winter I ruined a pair of leather boots. They were older and I trumped all over New York in them. I walked through water, snow, dirt and lots of salt. By the end of the winter the leather was cracked and there wasn't much hope left for them. I was lacking in winter footwear this season and when I decided on these leather boots I knew I needed something to keep the leather protected.

During my search for boots I stumbled  onto a product called Sno-Seal. I had never heard of it, but after reading lots of reviews I decided it was worth a try. I ordered Sno-Seal when I order my boots and before wearing my boots out I applied Sno-Seal. Applying products to leather always makes me a little nervous, so I tested a small section first and all was well. I love how easy Sno-Seal is to apply, although it does take a little prep work. Sno-Seal is a beeswax product and the leather needs to be heated to apply the wax. For my boots I heated the leather with oven heat. I didn't put them in the oven, but I placed my boots on the oven door as it heated up. Once the leather was heated, I applied the Sno-Seal.

Sno-Seal has been perfect for my boots. I have worn them in the rain and all through the snow. The water and the snow wicks right off. The Sno-Seal also protects against dirt, salt, and sun damage. When Tyler and I were in Joplin he wore his leather boots in the rain, dirt, and snow, without Sno-Seal. Once we came home I cleaned his boots, applied Sno-Seal and they were as good as new. I was so impressed with how well they cleaned up.
THE BEST WAX FOR WATER PROOFING LEATHER
THE BEST WAX FOR WATER PROOFING LEATHER
THE BEST WAX FOR WATER PROOFING LEATHER
One thing I love about Sno-Seal is that because it's a natural beeswax it allows the leather to breath and it will naturally work it's self off the boots. Because it's a natural protectant Sno-Seal will need to be re-applied occasionally. I applied Sno-Seal to my boots in November and haven't had to re-apply yet, but will probably add Sno-Seal to my boots one more time before the winter is over.

What products do you use to keep your leather clean and protected? xoxo. Samantha


No comments:

Post a Comment

**I love reading all your sweet comments and love getting to know every single one of you. I do my best to respond to every comment and will do so via email. If you don't receive a response, you may be a no-reply blogger.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...