January 25, 2016

HOW TO TEACH YOUR FRIENDS TO TAKE YOUR STYLE PHOTOS

HOW TO TEACH YOUR FRIENDS TO TAKE YOUR STYLE PHOTOS
LOCATION: Pleasantville, NY
DETAILS: Blanket Scarf (AE) || Skinny Jeans (AE) || Sweater (AE)  || Glomits (AE)  || Peacoat (Delias)  || Boots (Timberland)  

One question that I used to get all the time was "who takes your style photos?" The answer to that question is, Tyler, that's my husband if you were wondering. ;) The next question I usually received after that was, "how did you teach your husband to take your style photos?" Well, today I'm sharing all of our secrets, except that they really aren't secrets, ha! ;)

These tips aren't just for husbands, but they are for any of your friends that you plan on roping into to taking your style photos. I personally feel like our style photos are always a work in progress for a few reason. One, as I learn, I share with Tyler what I'm learning. Two, Tyler can't see what's in my head so sometimes it's tough for me to communicate what I'm looking for. Hopefully, I'll share plenty of tips today that will help you get over those hurdles too.
HOW TO TEACH YOUR FRIENDS TO TAKE YOUR STYLE PHOTOS
HOW TO TEACH YOUR FRIENDS TO TAKE YOUR STYLE PHOTOS
HOW TO TEACH YOUR FRIENDS TO TAKE YOUR STYLE PHOTOS
Shot Details (above): Nikon D700 + 50mm
ISO: 250, F-stop: 4, Shutter speed 1/320
HOW TO TEACH YOUR FRIENDS TO TAKE YOUR STYLE PHOTOS
YOU CAN ONLY SHARE WHAT YOU KNOW 
I have been able to watch Tyler grow as a photographer because I'm the one who has been teaching him. One thing that really worked to our advantage was that I was already well-versed in photography when I started stepping out in front of the camera and Tyler started finding himself behind the lens. When you decide to ask someone to take you style photos (someone who may still be learning photography), remember that you will be verbally walking them through the steps of shooting. When Tyler and I first started doing style shoots I would set all the settings in our camera first. I would read the light; set the ISO, white balance, and f-stop. During our first few style shoots I would tell Tyler which shutter speed to try.

During our shoots we still verbally talk through what the camera should be doing for the photos. There are a lot of things to remember when shooting and sometimes I don't even remember everything. As of late, I try to remind him to to change the aperture based on the type of photo we are taking. If we are taking a portrait, like the one below then we'll use an f-stop of 2.8. But if we are taking a photo we're I'm further away from the camera then we'll change the f-stop to 3.8 or 4.

One of the best ways to introduce a friend to taking your style photos is to walk them through the process, be patient, and have fun.

PROVIDE EXAMPLES
After Tyler became more comfortable with shooting and was needing my help less and less, we then had to determine the style of photos I was looking for. I wasn't always able to communicate the type of style I was hoping for and Tyler can't read my mind so we had to come up with a new system. Now, I create a Pinterest board of different style photos that I like to provide Tyler with reference. The photos give Tyler a blueprint for composition and the type of look I'm hoping to achieve. Providing these types of examples for a friend will give them a good stepping off point.

REVIEW AS YOU GO
One thing that I learned very quickly when taking style photos is that I don't always know how to pose for them, ha! When Tyler and I first started doing style photos, we would review the photos as we went. I would review my poses and we would confirm that everything was exposed properly. Let your friend know that reviewing as you go would be beneficial for the two of you. You both can discuss the poses, the exposure and the composition of the photos.
HOW TO TEACH YOUR FRIENDS TO TAKE YOUR STYLE PHOTOS
HOW TO TEACH YOUR FRIENDS TO TAKE YOUR STYLE PHOTOS
HOW TO TEACH YOUR FRIENDS TO TAKE YOUR STYLE PHOTOS
Shot Details (below): Nikon D700 + 50mm
ISO: 250, F-stop: 2.5, Shutter speed 1/320
HOW TO TEACH YOUR FRIENDS TO TAKE YOUR STYLE PHOTOS
HOW TO TEACH YOUR FRIENDS TO TAKE YOUR STYLE PHOTOS
HOW TO TEACH YOUR FRIENDS TO TAKE YOUR STYLE PHOTOS
HOW TO TEACH YOUR FRIENDS TO TAKE YOUR STYLE PHOTOS
HOW TO TEACH YOUR FRIENDS TO TAKE YOUR STYLE PHOTOS
Shot Details (above): Nikon D700 + 50mm
ISO: 250, F-stop: 4, Shutter speed 1/200

Being able to articulate my knowledge to Tyler has been a great jumping off point for Tyler and I. Know, that if you're not sure how to communicate what you want or how to properly use your camera it will be pretty tough on your friend. Overall, remember to trust each other. Some poses feel weird, but look great, trust your friend when they say it looks good. This concept translates to your friend behind the camera too. There are some things I know just don't work for my body in photos, communicate that as you go. What have been some of your go to tips for style photos? Do you have a friend who takes your style photos? Do you have any photography questions for me? I would love to hear them! xoxo. Samantha

No comments:

Post a Comment

**I love reading all your sweet comments and love getting to know every single one of you. I do my best to respond to every comment and will do so via email. If you don't receive a response, you may be a no-reply blogger.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...