October 28, 2015

PORTRAITS THROUGH THE YEARS : A LOOK BACK

Oh my gracious. Are you ready to take a trip down memory lane with a ridiculous amount of photos, haha. Last week I sat down and went through all my old photography posts and made sure all the photos were properly sized and that my best work was showcased, whew. It took a while, but it ended up being really great. I still have two more sessions from 2012 to add, but I'll get to those later.

It was really amazing to look back at my older work and see how I've grown. I was able to see how I compose photos differently now, how my editing style as changed and I was also able to see how my own photography style really started to take shape.

2009
This is where my journey began. My gracious, I can't believe it's been so long ago. when I first started my photography journey I started with film. Tyler's sister let me borrow her SLR and I was so excited to get started. I had no idea what I was doing. I had no idea what shutter speed was or aperture. And I definitely, had no idea how to properly expose for a photo. Amazingly enough I managed to capture the image below.  The camera manual became my best friend and that is where my learning began.  I shot a handful of different things with film, as I was taking a photo journalism class and I shot film for half of the lessons. Half way through the class Tyler surprised me and sent me my very first DSLR, it was a Nikon D60 and I was over the moon. I couldn't believe it and I couldn't wait to learn more.  I was in my final semester of college and I finished my photo journalism class with my D60. I tackled a handful of photo sessions with friends. This one below was a friend from college. I remember three or four other photo sessions, specifically couple sessions. Those first few couple sessions were so hard. I hadn't yet started to understand the importance of lighting and posing was so tough.

2010
I did so many photo sessions in 2010. I was living in Florida at the time and I had a handful of friends that always said yes when I asked to take photos. I also had other friends that were photographers so we took photos all. the. time. A lot my photo sessions from 2010 aren't documented here, because there are just so many, whew and many were meant for practice. I shot my first wedding while in Florida, it was fun, scary and overwhelming, whew. 
2011
This was probably one of my favorite years of photography. I had returned from Florida and I was living in Missouri again, my old stumping grounds. It was familiar territory and I had grown in my photography. I had a tad more confidence and I had a greater understanding of my style and light. I was definitely still learning, but I was starting to find my groove. I did portrait sessions, family sessions, senior portraits, couple sessions, little babies, and I was a second shooter in a wedding. It was during that wedding that I think I started to learn that wedding photography just wasn't for me. It was also a year that I loved portrait photography.  2012 
I only did a handful of photo sessions in 2012, I was pretty busy planning my wedding. ;) But one of the last sessions I did in 2012 was one of my favorites. I did an anniversary shoot with the two lovely people pictured below and it cemented my love for portrait photography. One of my favorite types of sessions are anniversary sessions. Married couples are so magically comfortable together, they know what makes each other tick, they know how to make each feel comfortable and their love just pours out. I want to do anniversary sessions for all the days. :) And here we are, 2015. It has been a solid three years since doing portrait photography on the regular, and I can't wait to do more. So get ready! :) If you saw last week's Fall post, you know that I have two sessions in processing and I can't wait to share them. I really loved taking this walk down memory lane and being able see how I've grown. xoxo! Samantha


No comments:

Post a Comment

**I love reading all your sweet comments and love getting to know every single one of you. I do my best to respond to every comment and will do so via email. If you don't receive a response, you may be a no-reply blogger.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...