June 18, 2015

THE MEASURE OF SUCCESS

Occasionally I have thoughts about success. What does success mean ... am I successful? Sometimes when I look at myself I compare myself against those who are "successful" in the eyes of the world. And often times I don't feel like I measure up. My ten year high school reunion is this year. I won't be attending, as it's in my home town and I won't be flying back. But I've wondered about what it would be like to attend. Would I be measured against everyone else's ideas of success?

Random class mate (who I haven't spoken to in 10 years) : "So what are you doing these days?"
Me: "I'm a wife... and... I run a blog."
Random class mate (with confused look on face) : "Oh... do you make money doing that?"

Money. Money seems to determine someone's success, at least in the world's eyes. My mom and I had a conversation once about "success." Occasionally, I feel like I should be out conquering the world. But then I look back, I go through the story that Jesus has written for me and I see how He has worked in every aspect of every part of my success. Because my success isn't based on the world's definition of success. My success is based in Jesus.
A long time ago I read a quote and it has forever stuck with me, “Do I look like the Savior? Have I been transformed by His grace to love radically, give generously, suffer willingly, walk humbly, and engage missionally?” That is the measure of success. 

My success isn't based on how much money I make, what job I have, where I live or what I do. My success is in Jesus. "When you and I find our identity in Christ, we can put aside the world’s definition of beauty and worth and remember the beauty and worth He has already created in each of us." (She Reads Truth)
I never know what tomorrow holds, I never know if I'll work outside of the home again. I have hopes and I have dreams, but really, I have no idea. Jim Elliot once said “wherever you are, be all there,” and that's what I can do, I can be all there. I can wake up every morning and walk the day that Jesus has laid before me and ask myself, "Do I look like the Savior? Have I been transformed by His grace to love radically, give generously, suffer willingly, walk humbly, and engage missionally?" What are your thoughts on success? xo. Samantha


No comments:

Post a Comment

**I love reading all your sweet comments and love getting to know every single one of you. I do my best to respond to every comment and will do so via email. If you don't receive a response, you may be a no-reply blogger.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...