June 3, 2015

5 QUESTIONS TO ASK WHEN BUYING YOUR FIRST DSLR

Tyler bought me my very first DSLR. When I first started shooting I started with his sister's camera. I was so excited that she let me borrow it. I had no idea what I was doing, but I was excited none-the-less.  Tyler knew I really wanted to pursue photography and he surprised me by buying me a Nikon D60. I was over the moon and I've been shooting Nikon ever since. When I got that first camera I never knew I would end up loving photography so much.
If you've been thinking about purchasing your own DSRL I hope I can be an encouragement and help you along your journey. There are a view things that I can go on and on about and one of those things is photography. So let's talk. :)

5 QUESTIONS TO ASK WHEN BUYING YOUR FIRST DSLR

1.) HOW LARGE IS YOUR BUDGET? 
Buying any DSLR is an investment and DSLRs come in a range of prices.  For the most part you're not going to be able to purchase a DSRL for less then about $500. Starter DSLRs are perfect if you're just getting your feet wet because they are incredibly user friendly. If you are wanting to make more of an investment and dive deeper into photography, you could purchase a mid-level DSLR between $1,000 and $3,000. Then if you're ready to go all in, you can purchase a pro-level DSLR between $3,000 and $8,000.  

2.) ARE YOU WILLING TO BUY USED?
Because purchasing a DSLR is such a large investment the next question to ask yourself is whether or not your are willing to buy used. Every camera body Tyler and I have purchased have been purchased used and we have had great success with them. I had been wanting to dive deeper into photography, but wasn't able to purchase the camera I had been wanting, so we looked for something used. I think buying used when you're just beginning is a great step. It gives you a great opportunity to test the waters without making such a large investment.    

3.) WHAT IS THE PRIMARY PURPOSE OF YOUR CAMERA?
Knowing the purpose of why your camera will be used will really help you determine which camera is best for you. Each camera has different features and will push you in different ways artistically. Really think about why you want that camera and then research each camera body to make sure it will meet your  needs. 

4.) WHAT ACCESSORIES DO YOU NEED?
Photography is an expensive hobby. Keep that in mind when you start down this journey. Not only are the camera bodies expensive but so are all the accessories. Most starter DSLRs come with a kit lens. Starting out with this lens will work fine. However, I would recommend you skip the kit lens and make an investment in a prime lens. Other accessories to consider are; a solid camera bag, a personalized camera strap, lens cloths', memory cards, and extra batteries.

5.) ARE YOU READY TO LEARN?
Photography is an amazing craft. One that will stretch and encourage you. When thinking about buying your first DSLR ask yourself if you are ready to learn. There is so much to learn about photography and your first DSLR will require you to get outside and learn. 
Photography is so fun! I hope that if you've been thinking about your first camera that these questions are helping you along your way. I would love to hear if you have any specific questions. xo. Samantha


Now we're on to the final LENS REVOLUTION SHOWCASE, and I can't wait to see what you all came up with for this week's CAPTURE YOU CITY challenge. This is an opportunity to share you work with other and find encouragement along the way. Stop by and check out others work and learn from them as well. The great thing about community is that we all have something different to offer.




Thank you to everyone who participated in this challenge! I was so encouraged to see you all stretch yourselves as photographers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

**I love reading all your sweet comments and love getting to know every single one of you. I do my best to respond to every comment and will do so via email. If you don't receive a response, you may be a no-reply blogger.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...