March 11, 2015

WHY YOU SHOULD BE OPEN TO CONTINUALLY GROWING

Let's take a stroll down memory lane. It was 2009, my senior year of college and I was taking a photography class. It was my first step into the world of photography and it is what gave me my footing and courage to move forward and continue to pursue the amazing craft. I had no idea what I was doing, I was borrowing a friends camera, but I was having fun. That is where my creative journey began; in a class, with a camera.

I wanted to be a photographer. I wanted to capture peoples stories and I wanted to make a living out of it, all while having no idea what I was doing. That's generally my motto, dive in and see where things go. Fast forward 6 years and I've moved a handful of different places; from Missouri to Florida, back to Missouri, to California, and now New York.  I have had lots of different jobs, and now I'm a lifestyle blogger. That girl, from six year ago, would have never imaged that she would be living in New York, working at creating a lifestyle blog, and have attempted an online shop.
So many things have happened on this journey. In 2013 I went from working full time to completing quitting my job and devoting my time to creating homemade products and beginning my journey as a lifestyle blogger. My goals and dreams have changed over time. I have learned, I have grown, and I have allowed my dreams to be shaped by Jesus. There were times when I wondered why I never became a full time photographer. I know the answer to that question, but it's not for today.

Allowing myself to grow allowed for so many great adventures. Not just creative adventures, but adventures with friends and adventures with Jesus. Every adventure I've been on can be contributed to my willingness to grow. To my willingness to move on to something different, to my willingness to try something new.  This space is a product of my willingness to grow. It's a product of my very first desire to pursue photography and I'm so grateful that photography remains to be one of the creative forces that drives this space.
When I named my photography business I named it Elah Photography. I had spent so much time brainstorming names. One day I was sitting at work and it came to me, I had never asked Jesus what he wanted it to be named. So I took a moment, prayed, and a few minutes later I found it. Elah, meaning "Oak" or "Mighty Tree." It was everything wrapped up in one word, it represented my relationship with Jesus and so much more. When I transitioned this space it went from Elah Photography to Elah Tree. The rest is history. xo. Samantha

No comments:

Post a Comment

**I love reading all your sweet comments and love getting to know every single one of you. I do my best to respond to every comment and will do so via email. If you don't receive a response, you may be a no-reply blogger.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...