March 25, 2015

UNDERSTANDING ISO

Welcome back, friends! How are things going for your first week of #thelensrevolution challenge? This past week was all about understanding aperture and creating a foundation for the rest of our challenges. Aperture helps to draw the eye when you are creating photos and it can effect our images; from sharpness, to clarity, to perspective.

This week we will be tackling an ISO challenge. ISO is probably one of my favorite camera settings. In short, ISO is your camera's sensitivity to light. One may think that ISO is only important when shooting in really low light. However, if you you don't keep an eye on your ISO and you go from shooting indoors to outdoors, you'll be thrown for a loop when all your photos are over exposed and you don't know why.

Let's start by chatting about low light. When shooting in low light, especially if your shooting hand held and not with a tripod you can only adjust your shutter speed so low before things start to get blurry or ghosted. Adjusting your ISO increases or decreases your camera's sensitivity to light, allowing you to maintain a higher shutter speed. The less light there is the higher you want your ISO. The more light there is the lower you want your ISO.
For this week's examples I did an indoor shoot and an outdoor shoot. For both of my examples I used a tripod and shot at the same f-stop and the same shutter speed for every photo. The only setting I adjusted was my ISO. All of my photos are also sooc (straight out of camera), so that you can really see the difference in the ISO changes.

SHOOTING SPECIFICATIONS : 
Camera : Nikon D300s
Environment : Indoors
Lens : 35mm
F-Stop : 2.8
Shutter Speed : 1/80
As you can tell, as my ISO increases so does the light in each photo. You'll also be able to see below in the outdoor photos that even though the photos start out dark as my ISO increase the camera's sensitivity to light does as well.

CHALLENGE TWO: LINK-UP APRIL 1ST
UNDERSTANDING ISO
This week's challenges is all about understanding your ISO. Once I began experimenting with my ISO and began to learn my camera's ISO sensitivity I was able to create better images. For this challenge you can shoot indoors or outdoors and you can shoot as many items as you like. I encourage you to shoot in an area with low light so you can really see your images change as you adjust your ISO. If possible shoot in at least 6 to 8 different ISO settings, 200 / 400 / 640 / 1,000 / 1,250 / 1,600 / 2,500 / 3,200. If you camera does not have all these ISO settings, don't worry, practice with the ISO range your have.  
SHOOTING SPECIFICATIONS : 
Camera : Nikon D300s
Environment : Outdoors, right at sunset
Lens : 35mm
F-Stop : 2.8
Shutter Speed : 1/125
Things to consider when adjusting your ISO : 
1.) The higher your ISO the more grain will be in your image.
2.) In  most cases you adjust your ISO higher in low light, to allow for a higher shutter speed.
3.) A normal ISO is generally 100.

Questions I ask when choosing my ISO:
1.) How is the light? Is my subject low lit? Am I outside with plenty of sun?
2.) Am I going to be using a tripod? Can I maintain a low ISO and offset the lack of light with a low shutter speed?
3.) Is my subject moving or stationary?

Your job as a photographer is to read the light of your surroundings and be able to read the light to create the image you want. Understanding your ISO will help you achieve a better understanding of reading light, give you greater control over your camera, and help you tell the story your are wanting to share.

Now we're on to this week's LENS REVOLUTION SHOWCASE, and I can't wait to see what you all came up with for this week's aperture challenge. This is an opportunity to share you work with other and find encouragement along the way. Stop by and check out others work and learn from them as well. The great thing about community is that we all have something different to offer.


Have any photography questions? Send them my way. xo. Samantha

No comments:

Post a Comment

**I love reading all your sweet comments and love getting to know every single one of you. I do my best to respond to every comment and will do so via email. If you don't receive a response, you may be a no-reply blogger.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...