December 26, 2014

THE BEST HOMEMADE BAKED BEANS

Ever since I was a little girl my mom would make Homemade Baked Beans. They were at every Thanksgiving and Christmas, and I can't remember a holiday without them. When I got married and moved away I missed having baked beans and I knew it was a tradition I wanted to begin as well. One Thanksgiving a few years ago I called my mom and asked her if she could talk me through how to make them.  I also asked her how she learned to make them and I loved her story. A long time ago a friend of my mom's would make these bake beans and one year my mom asked if she would teach her to make them. I hope we can continue to pass the family recipe around.
INGREDIENTS: 4 cans of pork-n-beans, 1 package of bacon, half an onion chopped, 1 small green pepper chopped, 1/4 cup brown sugar, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, red seasoning, ketchup, mustard, 2 tbs Worcestershire sauce, 1 tsp liquid smoke.
METHOD: So here's the thing, because this is a family recipe not everything is measured, but don't worry, these beans are super easy and difficult to ruin.

1.) Begin by chopping the bacon and cooking in a skillet over medium high heat. Once the bacon is almost finished add the chopped onion and green pepper. (You'll notice there is red pepper in mine, that's because I had some left over from another recipe, but it's not something we always put in.)
2.) Next add pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and red seasoning. I seriously just guess when I'm adding these seasonings. We've never measured ever. Just give them a good shake over the entire skillet.
3.) When the bacon is finished cooking pour in a 1/4 cup of brown sugar. Stir together and cook for 2 minutes. Add your 4 cans of pork-n-beans to a large crock pot, then pour the bacon mixture of the beans and stir gently. Cook on high for 2 - 3 hours. After 2 - 3 hours squeeze in the ketchup and mustard. Again, no measuring, just a good squeeze per bottle. Last add 2 tbs of Worcestershire sauce and 1 tsp liquid smoke. Stir together and cook for one more hour.
The first year I made these, Tyler told me he didn't like baked beans. But this year he gave them another try and he's now a fan. I definitely feel like these beans are a Midwest dish and I love that about them. Midwest through and through. xo. Samantha

No comments:

Post a Comment

**I love reading all your sweet comments and love getting to know every single one of you. I do my best to respond to every comment and will do so via email. If you don't receive a response, you may be a no-reply blogger.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...