July 9, 2014

Vintage Postcard Mobile

Sometimes supplies for projects get lost in our office closet. Case in point, some driftwood we picked up while in Cambria. We picked up a handful of different sticks that we thought might make great projects. We picked the sticks up almost a year ago. We brought them home and then they got stuck in the closet. A couple months ago we stopped at an antique shop and picked up a couple of vintage postcards. Those postcards ended up at the bottom of a drawer. I finally found some inspiration and decided on a project for those postcards and driftwood.
I've been seeing a lot of different mobiles and decided it might be pretty cool to turn the driftwood and postcards into one. We actually did two different versions of this project. The first one captured the main idea and with the second one we honed in on the details.
Supplies needed: one driftwood stick, twine or leather, fishing line, vintage postcards, painters tape or washi tape, and a hot glue gun.  To begin, secure the twine to the stick with hot glue. We did multiple wraps and glued as we went. Our stick was curved so when we attached our twine we had to make sure it came over the stick so it held it against the wall without falling forward.
Next, layout the vintage postcards so that you know how you want them to hang. We tried lots of different versions, but this one was our favorite. Flip all the cards over and attach individual fishing line to the postcards, securing with painters tape. Make sure to cut your fishing line long enough to tie it to the driftwood.
Once your fishing line is attached to all the photos lay the photos out flat and determine how far you want them hanging down from the stick. Tie each string to the stick. You're done! 
This has been a really fun addition to our art wall. I love the rustic vintage feel and I love how different it is. Are there any vintage postcard mobiles in your future?

Follow along : Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Bloglovin | Shop

20 comments:

  1. LOVE this!!! For real. It might be copied. How do you feel about that? Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Copy away! I'm so glad everyone likes it! This morning I kept telling Tyler, "everyone likes it! everyone likes it!"

      Delete
  2. Well isn't this just lovely! Such a simple and happy idea :] Might have to copy this for a future travel themed kiddo room. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds fun! Travel themed would be so cool!

      Delete
  3. What an AWESOME idea this is! How creative? There is nothing better than a simple yet classic DIY! Love this idea, girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel! We were really happy with how it turned out! I love simple DIY's that end up looking really cool. :)

      Delete
  4. This is such a great idea! I've collected post cards since I was really young and have them all stuffed away in a box- I've never really thought about incorporating them into decor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should give it a try! I love finding vintage postcards and finding fun creative ways to display them.

      Delete
  5. this is so awesome! & i love using mobiles for things other than cribs! :) such a cool idea! love the vintage feel!

    i have that same glue gun :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always really liked decorative mobiles, but I hadn't figure out how I wanted to decorate with one until now. We were pretty excited with the outcome.

      Delete
  6. Bah!!! I love this. It's such a unique way to hang photos! I literally Ooooh'd and Ahhhh'd over this. I just saved some old vintage postcards (from Italy I think) that were my Grandpa's. He collected them while he was overseas in the Air Force! My dad was throwing away a lot of things he didn't need/want to keep and I was like "Let me have those!" Haha. I need to create a mobile with them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Do it! That sounds so cool! Vintage postcards from Italy! I'm Oooohing and ahhhhing over Italy now.

      Delete
  7. I love this! Such a great way to hang photos, I love that you can't really see the strings, that just makes it so much cooler in my opinion :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, it's kind of like they are floating! It was so fun to finally pull this project together. I'm glad I wanted until I was inspired to create something really specific.

      Delete
  8. Such a cute idea! Love the way it turned out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chelsea! We had a lot of fun putting it together too!

      Delete
  9. I love it! I'm a huge fan of old photos (such a good antique shop find!) and I love how they all look hung together on the driftwood. I just might have to use this to display some of my own photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do! I love how simple it is, but yet really fun and unique!

      Delete
  10. Love this idea!
    I'm always after new ways to display my photos - no point in them staying on the computer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It so fun to be inspired and find new ways to create photo space!

      Delete

**I love reading all your sweet comments and love getting to know every single one of you. I do my best to respond to every comment and will do so via email. If you don't receive a response, you may be a no-reply blogger.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...