July 16, 2014

Create Your Own Photo Backdrop

I love taking photos, styling photos and making things pretty. Over time I have created a collection of photo backdrops. The most common items I use are canvases, foam boards, fabric, and bamboo. Recently, I found myself wanting to add more color and I was inspired to create a new photo backdrop.
This photo backdrop is so easy. Supplies needed; colored form board, paint of choice, sponge paint dabbers, a paint brush, a pencil, and a ruler. I picked out a sky blue foam board, gold metallic paint, and decided to do a polka dot backdrop.  Before you start painting determine what size polka dots you would like and then mark the board with a pencil and ruler. Tyler determined the spacing for our polka dots and marked the foam board. All of our polka dots were in an ordered pattern and equal distance apart. You can do this or you can choose a more sporadic design.
After your foam board is marked and ready, test your paint and dabbers by practicing on scrap paper. We experimented with a few different techniques for application, but found that pressing down and turning just slightly worked best. The paint brush is used to remove access paint from the dabbers before applying to the foam board. 
Once you're done testing and determining your technique, your ready to go. Use the dabbers, paint, and paint brush to add polka dots to your foam board. Once you're finished, let the polka dots dry. Be careful when applying the polka dots to not accidentally brush or smear another painted polka dot.
Once your polka dots are dry you've got a new backdrop!  I'm so excited about this new addition to my photo backdrops. It's so fun, adds tons of color and can be used for so many things!
This has been one of my favorite projects as of late. It's really simple and really fun. You color combinations are endless as well. Are you ready to create your own photo backdrop?

Follow along : Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Bloglovin | Shop

26 comments:

  1. This is so cool! I love it. You are so creative. Also, I love love your new blog header. It's so clean and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm so glad you like both, header and the backdrop! My header has been such a challenge for me lately. It's been kind of frustrating, because I can't seem to create something I'm totally in love with. So I definitely appreciate the encouragement!

      Delete
  2. Love this! I've used white posterboard before... now I'm gonna decorate it too!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been using white poster board for a while and then it just hit me that I could make them however I wanted! It's so easy and fun!

      Delete
  3. that is SO fun and looks great as a backdrop! ALSO i am IN LOVE with your new header!!!! love the books & the classic feel of it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robyn! I'm so glad you like my header and the backdrop! My header has been such a challenge for me lately and I can't seem to create one that's my favorite! I'm so glad for the encouragement, because I'm sure it will take me a few more rounds to get it just right. :)

      Delete
  4. UM. this is the best thing out there. I need to get on it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! You should make one! I'm slowing collecting different foam boards and posters boards. I bought a gold metallic poster board too which is pretty fun!

      Delete
  5. Eeeeeeeep! I love this! (And loving all the banner changes too!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christina! My banner and I seem to be going round and round. :)

      Delete
  6. This is such a fun idea! The background is the number one thing (behind lighting) that I struggle with when taking blogging photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! That is one reason why I had to figure out different ways to create visually appeal backgrounds. It was been fun experimenting with different things.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks Beka! I've been having a lot of fun creating and experimenting with different backdrops. :)

      Delete
  8. Love this!! I usually use just plain white boards but this is such a great way to spice things up a little! Pinning this!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I would love to hear how yours turn out! I love that it's a relatively cheap idea, but has so many uses. :)

      Delete
  9. Oh my gosh, Samantha, this is genius! I lovvvvve the polka dots. You know how I feel about polka dots and gold.
    You have the BEST ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh! I hope you make one! They are so fun and you could make all different kinds! :)

      Delete
  10. So so pretty! Such a great idea to make your own--I'm always scouting out pretty places, but it'd be so nice to have something like that for when pictures need to be taken at home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, absolutely! It got kind of tricky when I was taking pictures at home because I needed something pretty and I needed a way to bounce the light too. I hope you make some. :)

      Delete
  11. I am inspired! Such a great idea!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Thanks Lauren! If you make one I would love to see it! :)

      Delete
  12. I can't wait to try this! I at least want to create a white one. I only have 2 windows in my apartment so finding places to take blog photos with good lighting is next to impossible. I can't wait to set up a little backdrop next to the window for better lighting and a clean background.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm so glad it was helpful! Having the white ones help so well, because lighting in our apartment is so bad too, but the white one's are perfecting at bouncing the light too.

      Delete
  13. This is such an awesome idea! I just came across your blog from the #holdersnotfolders challenge via Oak & Oats. I'm excited to make a photo background now! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm so glad! I would love to see how yours turns out! :)

      Delete

**I love reading all your sweet comments and love getting to know every single one of you. I do my best to respond to every comment and will do so via email. If you don't receive a response, you may be a no-reply blogger.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...