July 30, 2014

Create a Custom Cork Board

I have really been wanting to add some cork boards to our office. Two reasons I really wanted cork boards. One, really wanted to be able to pin lots of fun mail I get from friends. I love snail mail and while I don't keep it forever I wanted a place to glance over and appreciate it. Two, I really wanted to use the cork boards in an attempt to create a mood board for Elah Tree, which I'm really pumped about.
I knew from the beginning that when I found my cork boards that I wanted to be able to customize them and I'm always looking for ways to complete fun easy projects. When it comes to cooking and projects I like quick and simple. Probably not always the best motto, but those are my favorite kinds of projects. For these custom cork boards all I needed was painters tape, paint, paint brushes, a paint pallet, and the cork boards of course.
First things first, decide what kind of design you want on your cork boards. At first I had a crazy design with tape lines every where. Whenever I do projects as I'm working I always ask Tyler his thoughts. When I showed him my crazy tape lines he suggested I go with something a little more simple and more aesthetically  pleasing. Tyler has a great eye for those kind of things and I'm always grateful when he's able to teach me and help me through projects.
We decided on a simple design using two different colors. With out design in place I started painting. I painted a turquoise blue to one section of each of my cork boards and applied multiple coats after drying. Once I was finished with the blue I added a metallic gold to the smaller section of each cork board. This project was a great project to work on while doing other things. I could paint one coat, step away from it to do something else, and then go back. Tip: Remember when painting to paint the side of the cork board to that the paint goes all the way around.
I really love how these cork boards turned out! They are so fun and they are perfect for what I had in mind for them. The hardest part was actually finding a place for them in our office without moving any other art pieces. I decided putting them right over my desk would work great. Having them right above my desk makes it easy to add items to them and I love how they have kind of become a part of my desk.
These kinds of projects really are my favorite. I love being able to take supplies I already have to create something new. For this project all I had to pick up was the cork boards, which were super cheap. What are your favorite kinds of projects? Do you think you'll give these custom cork boards a try?
Follow along : Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Bloglovin | Shop

16 comments:

  1. Do you mind sharing where you got the cork boards? And how you hung them on the walls?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! I picked them up from WalMart. It was a 4 pack for like $5! They came with sticky adhesive and it seems to be working really well.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks girl! I was pretty excited about it! I love that they came together pretty easy and it's always encouraging because it inspired me to try to find other simple projects.

      Delete
  3. They look awesome! I may add a few to my mini office to hang jewelry on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I hope you do! They are so fun and easy to paint! You could totally customize them in so many different ways too!

      Delete
  4. Gah! I love this, you are so creative! I have a cork board in my office with a frame around it, which I bought, not made (boo, I know) a while back. I am loving doing woodworking projects recently since my dad showed me how to use the jigsaw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tyler loves woodworking! He actually misses being able to work with his hands more often. He still has all of his tools, but because we don't have a garage they aren't here with us. Apartment living is tricky sometimes. Also, did I see you woodworking on Instagram?

      Delete
  5. So fun! I love it. You have the best ideas for DIY stuff, and this looks like something I could actually do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could totally do it! It's so easy! You should make some and put them in your apartment!

      Delete
  6. Those turned out really cool! And it's practical--I love having a bulletin board around for sticking stuff up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love how easy they came together! I was so excited once I could actually put stuff on them! it's so fun!

      Delete
  7. Sam! This is such a cute idea! And those cork boards are so inexpensive! Great project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meg! The last couple of DIY projects I've done I've really enjoyed because they have been so simple but so fun!

      Delete
  8. These are classy and sassy at the same time! I love them. Sad for me but I'm not doing too many craft projects right now since we will be moving to Asia! BUT I'm pinning this because it's just so fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could make them when you go to Asia! What are you doing in Asia?

      Delete

**I love reading all your sweet comments and love getting to know every single one of you. I do my best to respond to every comment and will do so via email. If you don't receive a response, you may be a no-reply blogger.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...