June 5, 2014

The River Valley

Last week Tyler and I jetted off to Tennessee! We also did a short stint in Joplin. I couldn't decide on a title for this post and I really wanted to title it "The Heartland." However, did you know when you Google the heartland region a bunch of different regions like to call themselves the heartland. Weird. The cool part was when I saw a map of the Mississippi River Valley. Perfect, we drove over the Mississippi twice last week.

We started our travels at LAX. It's not our favorite airport, but it was a direct flight to Nashville and direct flights are the best. Plus we flew American and I told Tyler I felt fancy because they had in flight entertainment. Four and a half hours later we landed and I was starving! When I get to this point of hunger I only think about food. I was a happy camper when we stopped at Corky's. What else do you eat in the South except for BBQ. I also had my first fried green tomatoes. I will forever be a mid-west girl and I will forever love the south.
During our short time in Joplin Tyler tackled a bunch of projects with his dad and sisters, which included putting up a pool, adding rock to his sister's landscaping, and assembling a handful of other project. Tyler and I also celebrated our anniversary and we totally failed at getting in pictures.
We finished up our time in Joplin celebrating this little guy's pre-school graduation. All the little people looked way more excited then I see anyone else graduate. Plus, they got cookies afterwards. Where were our cookies when we graduated college?
Our first day back in Tennessee was filled with great food and kayaking. I love kayaking. I'm crazy over the moon about it. We stopped at Marcy Jo's Mealhouse, which was thoroughly amusing. It seriously looked like it could fall over inside. BLT, no mayo, thanks.
Friday we drove to Nashville and had lunch with Tyler's grandparents. While we were there I met 'Frosty.' How cool is it that I got to hold a dove?!? I was pretty stoked! We also went to Antique Archeology. Have you seen the show American Pickers? Well, that is their store! It was really cool and full of amazing antiques! I'll be sharing more about that in a couple weeks stayed tuned!
Cupcakes. Everyone loves pictures of cupcakes, right? If not, you at least like to eat cupcakes, right?
On our last day we soaked up the sun and Tyler and his dad gave me my first crash course in scuba diving. It was so cool! Tyler has been certified in scuba diving for a long time, but I'm the odd man out. Once I got the hang of things I could understand why people love it. It really is amazing and I was just in a pool diving for pool rings. Yay, it's that cool.
We had such an amazing time and I have fallen in love with Tennessee! It's absolutely beautiful, full of history, wonderful people, and amazing food! Can't wait to go again! And when I do, I'm going to The Hermitage.

Follow along : Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Bloglovin | Shop

12 comments:

  1. I haven't been to Tennessee in a while, but I always think it's such a pretty state! And kayaking is definitely fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot a beautiful it was! Is always nice to go back to that area because it's so different from Southern California.

      Delete
  2. sounds like a great trip!!! i love American Pickers! and SO neat that you got to hold a dove!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really fun! It's so neat to see everything that's in the store, because it's so different then just an antique store.

      Delete
  3. eep! i've never been to the hermitage! take me with you! ;)

    i am so glad y'all had so much fun!! kayaking...my favorite! and scuba diving?? i've never been, but now i want to learn. i think i would love it.

    bah! the american pickers store! my interior designer heart just exploded. SO FUN.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we were driving in my heart skipped a beat because I saw a few houses that looked like plantation houses and then I couldn't get them out of my head.
      I wanted to go so bad and we were going to try to go on Saturday, but I decided to just rest up before our travels.Which worked out because that was the day we did the scuba diving.

      I'll just have to go back to Nashville and you'll have to come too! :)

      Delete
  4. Eeeeeep! I love fried green tomatoes! How did you like them? And you in the scuba suit was amazing. I loved it to death. (Happy Anniversary!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are soooo good! I was surprised, but not surprised at the same time. And the whole time I kept thinking about the movie Fried Green Tomatoes. So fun!

      Delete
  5. Aw yay! Sounds like a great trip! I'm sorry I missed you during your quick visit :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did have so much fun! It was a bit of a whirl wind, but totally worth it! Next time I'm in Joplin I'll have too see your new house! Omgosh, you should do a blog post about your new house and call it "Cribs!" bahahahaha!

      Delete
  6. Corky's is some of THE BEST BBQ around. So good. I'm originally from Memphis, so we go to Corky's every time we are in town. I have a friend that has been to the American Pickers store! She loved it!! I would love to go one day. Kayaking = great time. Scuba diving...never done it but would love to try. I don't think my swimming skills are that great for the ocean though. I would probably be good in a pool though. ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Corky's was sooo good and it was my first time! I loved that it was our first stop in Nashville!
      American Pickers was so cool! They had the coolest antiques, there was so many things that I would never see in a regular antique store.

      Delete

**I love reading all your sweet comments and love getting to know every single one of you. I do my best to respond to every comment and will do so via email. If you don't receive a response, you may be a no-reply blogger.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...