June 17, 2014

Cleaning Out My Make-Up Bag

This is the first time I've ever really talked about make-up on the blog. I like make-up just fine, but I don't know a whole lot about make-up and I don't have a ton of products.  I use what I need and if I ever want to try something new I look it up on Youtube. Just recently I needed to buy mascara and primer. I had no idea what I wanted to buy or even what products would be good. So I did some research, yes I had to research what kind of make-up to buy and wrote down a few. After picking up my purchases I decided to evaluate my make-up bag. And I decided it would be fun to share what I use on a regular basis.
I don't use a lot of different tools. I'm sure I break some kind of cardinal make-up rule, but hey I'm okay with that. For everyday I really only use my foundation brush, my eyelash curler, and my mini mirror. I use the other two brushes when I apply eye make-up which is rare.
For my everyday look I start by applying primer. Primer is amazing, hands down. Next I apply concealer. I use Physicians Formula concealer and a Mary Kay concealer. The Mary Kay is only for my eyes. Then I apply a mineral foundation. I use Maybellin. I use my foundation brush to apply my blush, which is Covergirl. Last, I curl my eyelashes. That's it. Occasionally I'll wear mascara, which I'm sharing about below. 
The products above are items I use occasionally for special occasions.  A bronzer, two different eye shadows, eye liner, and a highlighting pen. I should take advantage of the highlighting pen more often. 
I don't have a lot of make-up products so I didn't have a lot to throw away. But items one, two, three, and five are really old, like maybe ten years old, except for the mascara.
Now to the good stuff, my most recent additions. Primer has made wearing make-up a breeze. I loved the primer I was using before, but I needed to find something I could pick up at Walmart. I found this Revlon Photo Ready Primer and so far I like it. It's light weight and goes on nice and smooth. Picking out mascara was a little harder. Hello, there so many different mascaras. I had it narrowed down between Maybelline's Colossal Volum and another. While I was standing in the aisle another customer suggested the Colossal Volum. I appreciated her input because I really had no idea otherwise. I really like the Colossal Volum mascara, but I'm interested in trying a couple of the mascaras I looked at. It totally provides volume, but I'm curious if I could find something that would provide a lusher volume.

What are you favorite primers and mascaras? I would love to know, so I can give them a try!

Follow along : Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Bloglovin | Shop

8 comments:

  1. I am with you girl, I don't wear a ton of makeup and really don't even know how to use a lot. On a daily basis the only thing guaranteed is mascara. Sometimes I wear a light eye shadow, sometimes I wear eyeliner but most days it's just mascara. And I've used the same kind for forever, Covergirl Lash Blast Fusion. Recently I just got a new kind, Covergirl Lash Blast Length. I like them both a lot :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel that way a lot. I'm always wondering how to use makeup properly. I'm totally going to have to check out those mascaras! Choosing mascaras are so hard because there are so many.

      Delete
  2. Ahhhhhhh make-up is the one area I am CLUELESS about. I take tips and tricks from just about anyone! Last person to help me was my MIL. Haha. I'm just incredibly clueless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clueless make-up users unite! I usually stick with what I know and then if I try something new I have to ask a lot of questions.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the primer rec! I've really been interested in trying out a primer of some sort. I'll have to look into that one.

    I'm mostly a mary kay girl, but I use the same blush as you and then almay eye liner and covergirl foundation. Really though, I use like five products and do my makeup in about 5 minutes as well. Nothing fancy going on over here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like that primer. I was using a mary kay primer, but I was almost out so I was looking for something to switch too. I think you'll like it. It has a little bit of a different substance then the mary kay one, but both do the job really well. I'm not even sure I could wear make-up without primer anymore.

      What almay eye liner do you use? I'm in need of something new.

      Delete
  4. I have only used one primer, a girl at Sephora recommended it to me. It felt so silky on my hand, I had to buy it. It's Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer. It has SPF too. I may experiment a little with drugstore brands. Also a huge delight to discover for me was using an eyelid primer to avoid creasing on eye shadow and give a more vivid colour. Magical! I haven't found THE mascara yet. I'm using the Sephora brand one since I got it with a brush set. It's rather interesting, it stays on very well, and comes off in flakes vs. smudging. NYX has some pretty amazing reviews for price and quality on certain products too. I have yet to really explore them besides their jumbo eye pencil and blush which is super pigmented. One of my best friends is a makeup artist so I get some tips passed on :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that you have a friend that is a makeup artist! That would be nice to have someone providing makeup tips. I don't know if I have ever been inside Sephora, but I'm familiar with their products. Mascara is huge for me and it seems tricky to find just the right one.

      Delete

**I love reading all your sweet comments and love getting to know every single one of you. I do my best to respond to every comment and will do so via email. If you don't receive a response, you may be a no-reply blogger.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...