April 22, 2014

STYLE PHOTO TIPS

I've had a lot of questions about my style photos; where I take them, who takes them, how did I do that, ect. I'm definitely still in the process of learning what works best for me during my style shoots and I'm always learning my style. I wanted to share a little bit about how I do style shoots. Please, keep in mind that I've been developing my photography skills since 2009 and any artistic skill takes constant sharpening. I took a year of from photography in 2012 and I came back really rough.

Who: Tyler takes all of my style photos and if there are any other photos of me in regular posts he takes those too. Occasionally, I'll set up my tripod and use the camera timer, but the process is frustrating especially without a remote. Tyler and I always work together during the shoot, if he is having a problem with the camera I can adjust the settings. If I'm looking like a goober he helps to pose me.

When: We only do style shoots during a specific time of day, during the golden hour. We start about an hour before sun sets. Because we are surrounded by mountains we have to catch the sun before it falls behind the mountain. If you live in an area without mountains you won't have to worry about this.

Where: Most of the photos are taken at a park a couple of miles from our house. The park is big enough that each backdrop can look different. There are tons of trees, a horse trail, wooden fencing, and it's right next to the LA river, which is just a huge canal, but it provides more variety.

How: A majority of my photos are backlit, that is how I prefer my lighting. It's not the only way and I have some photos where I'm not backlit, but it is what we strive for. Backlighting is kind of tricking, because you usually have to over expose. Also, Tyler and I always shoot manually. Shooting manually gives you greater control over the image your are creating. 
A Few Tips for Posing

Portrait & Full: My favorite photos are portrait, but it's a style post, so I've got to show the whole outfit right? Make sure to get a little bit of both. 

Turn to the side: I'm not a huge fan of having photos taken of me straight on. I try to always turn a little bit to one side. It's a little more figure flattery and I think it makes the photos more dynamic.

Turn your face slightly down: If I look straight at the camera or look slightly up it makes my face look really full. Or if Tyler takes photos looking up at me, again big, full round face. Not my favorite. I try to pull my shoulders down and tilt my head down slightly.

Look away & at the camera: I love getting a variety of photos so I always try to look direclty at the camera and away from the camera.

Remember the details: I'm actually not that great at remember this all the time, but Tyler always does a great job at getting picture of the details of each outfit.

Remember to smile: You may not struggle with this, but my default photo shoot face is the serious face. Tyler is always reminding me to smile. It's not that I don't want to smile, it's just for me the serious face is easier.

What do you think? What has helped you the most when posing for you photos?
 Follow along : Facebook / Twitter / Pinterest / Bloglovin / Shop

 photo riversandroads275x300.jpg

28 comments:

  1. I tend to revert to the same pose every time--apparently that's my "auto setting"--I like involving furniture--like the bench you had!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I always start out really awkward and I have to ask Tyler what I'm supposed to do every time. :)

      Delete
  2. You are so good at style shoots! You look like a pro! Also, I just LOVE your style. I am going to do my first style post next month, and I'm nervous. I'll definitely be looking to you for inspiration! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenna! You are so sweet! Omgosh! I'm so excited about your style post! I can't wait to see it! :)

      Delete
  3. yeah, i needed hess tips, because I have one pose, and its to the side. I love your style, the scarfs, and your haircut!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's so hard sometimes, I feel like after a while I run out of ideas and then I start doing silly poses.

      Delete
  4. I had my husband take some picture of me in outfits I got from Le Tote and it was slightly awkward, ha. I'm so used to being behind the camera that being in front of it really is weird to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally know how that feels! When I first started having to stand in front of the camera I felt so awkward! I didn't know what to do. After doing it for a while it feels better. :)

      Delete
  5. Love this! I am not a style blogger by any means, but I have posted about my stitchfix boxes and always feel so awkward with my husband taking pictures of me...I end up giggling the entire time! So helpful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad it was helpful! It can be really tricky sometimes! I have been wanting to try stitchfix! It looks so fun!

      Delete
  6. These are great photos! And- what a good bonding experience for you and your husband to work together on this! :)
    I might be really brave and try a style post someday! We'll see!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, I hope you do! I think style shoots are so fun! Tyler is really great about it too! He's really helpful and encouraging when I struggle.

      Delete
  7. I love these tips! Thanks so much for sharing-- Timing of day is crucial when taking photos for sure and placing the camera on manual does help a lot. Thanks again for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love having an evening full a great light! I love how golden the photos come out!

      Delete
  8. I'm starting to think about hopping into the world of style posts and I'm definitely going to steal all your tips and copy your poses ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it! I want to see your style posts! ASAP!

      Delete
  9. Your photos are gorgeous!!! Great list of tips. :) One thing I always wonder is, are there other people around when you take pictures? How do you keep yourself from feeling awkward?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Sometimes there are people around and sometimes I do feel awkward.
      But at the park that we go to there aren't that many people, so it's not that bad.
      It's usually the hardest when I'm in like a downtown area of some kind. That is when I feel awkward and then I just have to pretend that no one is looking at me.

      Delete
  10. Great tips... I do photography & posing is hard for people.
    Yep.. the Golden Hour... grab it every time you can :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favorite part is telling someone... "this is going to feel awkward, but it will look amazing." :)

      Delete
  11. I love Jordan, but he is terrible at taking any style pictures. 99% of the ones I post (when I post them) are done with a tripod and timer. It takes a lot longer, but he gets SO embarrassed, and he just doesn't like helping me, so I try not to ask. I have no trouble smiling! haha. I cannot do the serious face. I just look angry. You have a good one, though, so I say do it if you can!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that you started the sentence with, "I love Jordan, but..." :)
      The tripod and timer do take so much longer. There have only been a couple times I've used the timer.
      Total props for you doing it on your own, I don't think I could do it.

      Delete
  12. I love this! I am going to need to find a friend to take some for me. I just do the point and shoot thing with my tripod and run back and forth with the 10 second timer :) sometimes my husband helps take my pictures and the ones he helps with are always so much better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love having Tyler help me! I think my photos turn out better. He can always tell me when I look weird or adjust my pose. :)

      Delete
  13. You are so great in front of the camera Samantha, and these are some great tips!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chantel! It's really fun that Tyler and I get work together. It makes it easier for him to tell me how to pose.

      Delete
  14. I think the backlit photos are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! They are my favorite too! It was really tricky at first to cage the lighting with the camera but once we got it figured out there was no turning back.

      Delete

**I love reading all your sweet comments and love getting to know every single one of you. I do my best to respond to every comment and will do so via email. If you don't receive a response, you may be a no-reply blogger.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...