April 10, 2014

The Artist Guild: Getting Creative with Hair

*Welcome to the Artist Guild, this is our opportunity to create together. The second Thursday of the month we come together to share our creative projects. There are eight creative activities that we'll be working on through September. To learn more, read here. We would love to have you join us and link-up your creative awesomeness! 

Today's Artist Guild activity, attempt a new creative hair style

Having short hair has been a little bit of a challenge in the style department. I had long hair for years and years and for the most part I had a decent amount of styles and updos filed away. Short hair is more of a challenge because there is less hair to be creative with. I decided to try a curling technique with my short hair that I had done with my long hair. I wasn't sure if it was possible because of the length of my hair, but I knew it was the first step in trying different styles. Because my hair is so straight, before I can achieve an updo I have to create enough texture, this curling technique usually does it.  
This technique is pretty simple and I've seen lots of people do it. The first time I actually saw this done was way back in the day, in the movie Bring it on. Yay, that cheerleading movie. Do you remember? Anyways, you take small sections of your hair and twist it into little buns. Fasten the little buns with bobby pins. I always wet my hair a little before pinning it up and I always sleep on it. This ensures that my hair will hold the curl. When you wake up your hair might look like this. Tyler told me I looked like Jean-Ralphio from Parks and Rec. Don't worry, the curls will relax. If the curls are too curly you can spray them with a little water.
1. Link-Up your Artist Guild post below. Please link to the post and not your home page.
2. Be encouraging. Comment on the post before you and tell them how awesome they are!
3. Hashtag your creativity! #theartistguild




Our next Artist Guild link-up

May 8th : Adventure around your town on bike or visit somewhere you've never been
I threw this one in because I'm highly concerned it may never happen unless it's on this list. If you're not into biking around town, that's cool. Go somewhere you've never been and share you adventure with us.
  Follow along : Facebook / Twitter / Pinterest / Bloglovin / Shop



30 comments:

  1. This gave me a bad flashback.... one time in high school we were at the beach and this random person came up and asked me to be a "hair model" for the Aveda runway show that day. I got paid so I said sure. My hairstyle was the one in your second picture! I had little knots all over my head. WORST HEADACHE EVER! Ha! I love your fluffy curls!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That just cracked me up! High school flasbacks are the best! I was in an Aveda shoot once. Crazy!

      Delete
  2. I love those big curls!! I've never tried that strategy of curling my hair before!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty easy and fun! It's the only thing that will work and stay curled. And it's the one thing that creates the most texture, which is what I need.

      Delete
  3. OH MY! So cute! You look really good with this style! And, I have to admit, I kinda like the crazy look too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love that you like the crazy look too!

      Delete
  4. Adorable!!!!
    I just slept in my good ol' favorite - sponge rollers :) Its the only thing that makes my hair hold curl/wave for a few days :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have sponge rollers too! They work pretty good for me too. I really like this technique because it creates ringlet style curls.

      Delete
  5. I tried the EXACT SAME THING! My heart was like a raging lion! I didn't know you could tame it down with water. I might have to try this out again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're hair looks similar to mine so it may work once it's tamed a little. I used to do it with my long hair and it relaxed a lot quicker because of the weight of my hair, but my shorter hair needs a little more help.

      Delete
  6. Love your curly hair!

    http://agodfashionedlife.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Allison! It's really fun and pretty easy! I really like it because it helps create texture for my hair.

      Delete
  7. Mad props to you! This is great! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks friend! It's one of my favorite things to do with my hair!

      Delete
  8. So cute!! Ive done my hair like this before and after a little taming I loved it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right! It's such an easy trick and creates the best curls! :)

      Delete
  9. I'm so curious if this trick works on long hair, maybe I'll have to try! I really never get too creative with my hair, but maybe I will for this link up:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does work on long hair! :) I used to do it with my long hair all the time and I loved it! It's easier to do with long hair because you don't have to do as many little buns.

      Delete
  10. Wowzers girl! Your hair curls so beautifully.

    I so need to get better about being creative styling my hair again. I've slacked so bad recently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm usually slacking pretty bad too. It's to easy not to style my hair when I don't have to leave the house.

      Delete
  11. This looks cute! I may try this way to curl on my little bit past shoulder length hair....but my hair is already pretty curly as it is! :)

    What a fun idea! I will have to be prepared for this link up next time! Do you announce the topic beforehand?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love for you to link-up next month! :) At the end of every Artist Guild post I post the next project and date.
      Next month is:

      May 8th : Adventure around your town on bike or visit somewhere you've never been

      I really wanted to learn how to get around Burbank on my bike so I thought this one would be really fun. But for those who don't enjoy bike riding I still wanted them to participate so they have the option of visiting somewhere new in their town. :)

      Delete
  12. Hehe, I giggled at the photo of you right when you took them out. My hair would have looked similar! Really, the final style looks great on you! Very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Tyler always laughs too when he sees them in the morning, because I look so crazy. :)

      Delete
  13. You really did look like Jean-Ralphio! Haha. But it turned out really cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I know right, I'm like the mini version of Jean-Ralphio! bahahaha!

      Delete
  14. Okay, first. I laughed out loud at that third picture. Your face was just too good!

    This is awesome though! It curled so well! How long was your hair when you tried it with longer hair?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it's getting good laughs. :)
      It was really long, like really long. It was probably to the middle of my back.

      Delete
  15. I love the Jean-Ralphio reference! I've never seen curls done this way before (though I've definitely watched Bring it on, must have not been paying attention during that part), I'm totally going to give this a try. My only question is, do they bother you at night? I'm not 100% sure I could handle sleeping on them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I watched it during the extra's or something like that. You should totally give it a try.
      They don't bother me to bad. With short hair the buns are super little so I not notice them to much.
      With long hair I figured out a way to have them more on top of my head so I would feel them as much. Did that make sense?

      Delete

**I love reading all your sweet comments and love getting to know every single one of you. I do my best to respond to every comment and will do so via email. If you don't receive a response, you may be a no-reply blogger.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...