April 17, 2014

Shaping Your Blog Content

I spend a lot of time thinking about blog content. I ton of time, because that's what are blogs are built on. They are built on the content we create. For the past couple of months I have been thinking hard about shaping my blog content and honing in on my strengths. I've had to learn what I'm good at, what I'm not good at and what I want to be good at. Because Elah Tree is a lifestyle blog I have a lot of room to play, but I've wanted to better define my branding based on the content I create.

Shaping Your Blog Content

Play to your strengths: What are you good at? What do you love to do? Are you able to take those things and turn them into engaging content? I've spent a lot of time thinking about what I'm good at and what I really enjoy doing. I love photography, creating, style, food, faith, dreaming big, and home decor. I try to focus on those things and that is what is dominate in my blog. I rarely ever talk about beauty products, because I'm not well-versed in the subject. I would have to do some learning to create that type of content.

Make a list: When thinking about your strengths make a list. Write down things you are really awesome at and love doing. Also, write down what your not good at and things you don't enjoy. The more things you try the better you'll get at knowing what works best for you. Don't forget to write down the things you want to learn. Just because you're not great at something in the beginning doesn't mean you can't learn about it and integrate it into your content. This list will help you visually see what direction your content is going.

Shape as you grow: Continue to shape your content as you grow. Your content and branding will continue to evolve as you learn more and as your taste change. Embrace all those learning and changing experience. The longer I blog the more I love to write about my learning experiences. I love being able to take what I've learned and share it with you. That is something that has evolved for me over time.

Be realistic and honest with yourself: Don't try to force yourself into something you may not really enjoy, just to be able to create content around it. You won't like it and your content will reflect that.  Also, now when something requires a little learning. If your passionate about it go after it, let it shape you and your content.

What has helped you shape your blog content?
Follow along : Facebook / Twitter / Pinterest / Bloglovin / Shop

22 comments:

  1. Loved this! I use many of the same techniques. Lists are key for me especially if I don't plan to post something that I think about that specific day; I can always revert to my list whenever I am unsure of what to blog about. Friends and families always have great ideas on things they want to hear about or things that they like reading from you blog as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think list are so helpful! I love that you mentioned friends and family! Tyler is always suggesting blog ideas for me! :)

      Delete
  2. i think the most important thing, which you mentioned, it to be true to yourself. don't blog about things that you don't really care about or support simply to have content. it's not worth it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! That is the best part; be yourself. That's what makes us all so unique and amazing! :)

      Delete
  3. I def struggled on being true to myself and post things that I am truly passionate about! I need to better at balance as well, like you said having a lifestyle blog gives you so much room to play I want to be able to showcase all of my strengths evenly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having a lifestyle blog is so nice because you can be so experimental with content and try different things. I can always tell when something doesn't working for me because it starts to feel weird and flat.

      Delete
  4. I think writing about what you're already good at and knowledgeable about, and what you already enjoy really helps shape your blog and create it into a place that you enjoy and also one which represents you well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, drawing from our own experiences is the best and most enjoyable. I love that every blog will be different because everyone's voice is different. :)

      Delete
  5. love this! i am finally starting to focus on only the things I want to blog about - not the things I feel I should blgo about!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so awesome! I feel like you blog content is so strong! :)

      Delete
  6. I am constantly coming up with blog ideas. It's fun to plan and see how a post comes together. It's definitely one of the most important parts of a successful blog! People can tell if you're not being real.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you come up with some of the funniest and unique ideas! I think that is why so many people are drawn to you, because you come so through genuinely in your writing!

      Delete
  7. Off topic - WHERE did you get that notebook with the camera?!?!?! I NEED!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are cracking me up! :) My friend actually got me that notebook. I think she picked it up at an art store here in town... I'm not sure.

      Delete
  8. Such good reminders! Thanks for sharing how you do this blogging thing! Love hearing all the thought and care that you put into it.
    I think "play to your strengths" is such good advice.
    It's easy to want to put yourself into a mold of something you're not....but for real- we each have our own niche- it's just finding it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your sweet words! You are such an encourager! I think focusing on one's strengths is so important and I think those strengths will also bring out other things that we may have never thought of before.

      Delete
  9. This is so great!! I think it's easy for people to feel like they have to fit into every blog category... but sticking with your strengths is what makes your voice stand out! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so tricky in the beginning but I love how over time we each develop our own strengths. :)

      Delete
  10. Stopping by from the Jack of All Trades link-up :) Great list here. I love the suggestion of developing your own strengths. As they change over time, it's so important to stay true to yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love what you said about your strengths changing over time and continuing to stay true to yourself! So good!

      Delete
  11. I've found that the more I blog, the more ideas I have for other posts, which is a good problem to have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Which is really exciting! I love having ideas just roll in!

      Delete

**I love reading all your sweet comments and love getting to know every single one of you. I do my best to respond to every comment and will do so via email. If you don't receive a response, you may be a no-reply blogger.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...