March 19, 2014

Failed Projects & Steve Madden Shoes

Creativity is a learning process. Right? Well, this project was definitely a long learning project. Not all project I do, come out looking pretty. Often times I'll do a second pass of the project and get it figured out. This project has taken me forever and it's still not done, and not looking too great either. I had every intention to share this project with you and have really pretty shoes. As you can see that is not the case.

Let's talk about how when doing creative projects sometimes you just have to go with the outcome and re-work the desired result. The concept behind the project is solid. The paint I used works really great. However, my execution was lacking. I wanted to maintain the white trim, so I tapped it off with painters tape, great in theory. Let's be honest, my tape job was horrible and you can see the result above.
I knew I needed to do a better job on the second shoe. I worked diligently  to get the trim tapped off well. It looks a little better, but the paint is still seeping through. Something I learned when using spray fabric paint is that it's really wet and dripping. It's not like spray paint, which was what I was hoping for.
I'm still determined to finish these shoes. I ran of paint so I'll be picking up another can and I've decided to just dive in and paint the whole thing with red paint. Forget the trim, that ship has sailed.

Have you done any projects lately that haven't turned out like you wanted? What did  you do to re-work your desired result.
Follow along : Facebook / Twitter / Pinterest / Bloglovin / Shop

18 comments:

  1. I still would wear these shoes! I have a poster in my room that says "perfection always starts with mistakes!" I bet these will turn out lovely once they are finished!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love that saying! Tyler has always helped me to embrace and learn from my mistakes. Things are so much more fun that way.

      Delete
  2. I see painted shoes all the time on Pinterest... I know mine would look like I walked through a kid's art studio.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted to spray paint my shoes, but Tyler suggested I not use spray paint. The fabric paint is really great. Just kind of tricky.

      Delete
  3. I love that you shared this DIY fail. :) :) It makes me happy to see when people are honest about how things did (or didn't) turn out. And you know, I like the concept here--they sorta remind me of modern, way-more-cute bowling shoes! I hope the touch-ups fix 'em!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They felt like they were taking forever and not all projects turn out like we hope. But there is always an opportunity to keep trying.

      Delete
  4. Oh man!! Yep, it's true that sometimes projects refuse to turn out the way we hoped they would! I have painted shoes before, but I've only painted the whole shoe--I wasn't as ambitious as you were!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, I'm just going to dive in and paint the whole thing. I loved being able to try it out first though. It was a great learning experience.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks! Hopefully I'll get them looking pretty and red! :)

      Delete
  6. Ahhh, this happens so many more times than I'd like. It usually happens when I'm painting and the scene just isn't looking good. I usually pull my hair, scrap the piece, and give up. I'm glad you haven't given up! Keep at it, girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It happens to be a lot too! I'll try something and then it will just end up looking weird. I think these will actually end up good, I've just got to keep going.

      Delete
  7. What a fun idea!! I'm sure you'll figure out something to make them work. :) My latest epic fail was in the kitchen. I tried to make tarts and when I took them out of the oven is was a whole pan full of I don't know what. The boys in the family did some of it, but after a bit I couldn't keep being reminded of my failed attempt and I threw the rest of it away.

    But, I've learned that when making tarts, I need to have a tart pan, or put the crust in small muffin tins so they stay up when baking. Live and learn right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! Live and learn! The learning experiences are what make us better artists!

      Delete
  8. I would do the same as you- paint them all over. They'll still turn out super cute!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really excited to finish them! I think they will end up really good!

      Delete
  9. I actually like the way they look!! But I'm sure you'll find a way to make them even cuter :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm really excited to finally get them finished! :)

      Delete

**I love reading all your sweet comments and love getting to know every single one of you. I do my best to respond to every comment and will do so via email. If you don't receive a response, you may be a no-reply blogger.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...