March 25, 2014

Being Prepared While On Vacation

Today I'm flying back to Missouri! I'm so excited! I'll be hanging out with my brother until the day he leaves for the Army. I'm so crazy proud of him! I'll be gone for a week, BUT  I have some crazy amazing stuff planned. You know how I roll,  I never leave you  hanging. I thought today would be a perfect day to share how I break down my vacation posts. I rarely do guests post. This is something I decided because I feel like you come to this place to hear my voice.

Keep in mind that my blog and my shop are my full time job, that is one main reason I do this. It's my job, so It's important to me that my blog is self sustaining while I'm gone. This may not work for everyone and that's okay. Hopefully, my workflow may help you.
1.) Take Advantage of that Idea Notebook: Look at you editorial calendar and see if there are any gaps that need filled in. I had a couple of posts lined up for the weeks I was going to be gone. However, I changed a couple of things around because I wanted to hit on some vacation topics this first week. Once you know what you are going to post about you're good to go.

2.) Start Early: I started preparing my posts 4 weeks in advance. I wanted to schedule a total of 10 posts while I was gone. My flight is leaving tomorrow, I started preparing posts on February 24th. Starting early gives you plenty of time to accomplish each post, make changes, and try different things.

3.) Break it up: Starting early means you can break up all the extra posts. I had on my calender to do two extra posts each week up to my trip. I personally think this is the best way to do it. Before we left for Christmas I scheduled all of my posts, however I didn't start early enough. There were two weeks that I felt like all I was doing was preparing posts. My brain was pretty broken in the end. 

4.) Batch Work: If you are able, do your work in batches. When I prepare my posts I do all my projects and photo shoots on Mondays. This saves tons and tons of time. I only have to pull out my project supplies and photo shoot set up once. I edit and prepare photos on Tuesday. Do extra entries on Wednesday and finish up with the writing on Thursday.

5.) Hit Schedule... On Everything... Social Media included: Double check your posts for anything you've left out, proof read and then hit schedule. On everything. After my posts are prepared and I customize my hyperlinks I schedule all my posts via social media.
Again, this might not work for everyone and it's a crazy amount of work. But for me, it's how I roll. And it's important to me.  What are ways you prepare your blog before leaving for vacation?

Follow along : Facebook / Twitter / Pinterest / Bloglovin / Shop

22 comments:

  1. I haven't ever had to schedule posts for a vacation, but I do like scheduling them at least a day in advanced, that way if I change my mind, I don't have to go through an edit a post that's already been published. These are some great tips, I'm going to try them when I'm out of town next :) I love the idea of taking pictures for multiple posts in one day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scheduling posts have been great for me while on vacation! :) Batch work has been a time saver too. It's amazing how much faster things went once I started breaking things up. I hope it works for you too!

      Delete
  2. Last time I tried to schedule posts, none of them went live and I had no access to the internet! YIKES...for some reason, my blogger scheduler doesn't always work. Boo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That really stinks! I probably would have started to stress out horribly!

      Delete
  3. I do this every week because, with the baby, it's tough getting much written DURING the week. But I'm wondering... how do you schedule stuff on social media?? I'm not familiar with that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like to use hootsuite for Twitter and Facebook has a scheduling option too! It's super helpful!

      Delete
  4. Im not going on vaca for awhile but Im def going to use these tips for everyday planning! I think having my post scheduled ahead of time will def make things go a little smoother! Have fun on your trip!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm so glad you found it helpful! It definitely makes things easier. It helps me to focus better on multiply projects.

      Delete
  5. You are uber organized.. impressive.
    I NEED that notebook with the camera on it!!! ADORABLE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being organized is one of my favorite things. My brain functions best when I have things organized! :)

      Delete
  6. This is awesome- you are so organized! I had no idea you could schedule social media posts. I hope you have a great time back home!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Staying organized help me to get more done! It's so helpful! :)

      Delete
  7. Such good ideas, and it shows your organization and professionalism!
    Love reading along with you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think scheduling is great because it truly gives you time to enjoy life and time with your brother. :) But sometimes it's hard to take that step away too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scheduling is so helpful to me. My hardest part is stepping away from my email.

      Delete
  9. Love this! I always schedule my posts though I usually only schedule 2-3 out at a time. I find if I do much more than that I end up completely changing my mind. It works for me for now. :) And I love that you have a date for taking your photos, my days are definitely Saturday or Sunday, that way if I need to be in any of the shots I can ask Jared to take them. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scheduling posts has been so helpful! I totally understand having someone around to take photos. Usually when I take my photos Tyler is a work and it's a little tricky.

      Delete
  10. I always schedule blog posts when I'm going on vacation, too! I write when I have time, and when I have the ideas, and I schedule them ahead of time! It works great for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scheduling posts has been such a life saver! I love how much time it saves and I love that my blog can keep going even though I'm away.

      Delete

**I love reading all your sweet comments and love getting to know every single one of you. I do my best to respond to every comment and will do so via email. If you don't receive a response, you may be a no-reply blogger.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...