February 28, 2014

Awesome Things in LA


(circa 2012)
When Tyler and I first moved to the LA area I didn't like it at all. Seriously, it was my least favorite place. I was overwhelmed all the time. The amount of traffic and people made me anxious and I was confused all the time. Culture Shock. I decided it was important to focus on the good things about LA and do my best to find things about it that I liked. It actually took my a long to be open to liking things because a majority of my time was spent processing the experiences. The longer we live here the more I am able to appreciate some great things about LA.

The LA Zoo: The LA Zoo is only 3 miles away from our house and it only takes 10 minutes to get there. The first time I went to the Zoo was during my first year living here. I had been here for 6 months and was still struggling. My mom was visiting and we decided to head to the Zoo. It sits at the base of Griffith Park and is absolutely beautiful. It's full of amazing exhibits and I love that you feel like your nestled against the mountain. 
Studio Tours: My first studio tour was at Warner Brothers. We had heard lots of great things about it so when my mom visited we decided to go. It was, for reals, so cool! The Warner lot has tons of history. So many movies and shows have been filmed on this lot. The tours are amazing. You go in a group of no more then about 12 and our tour guide was phenomenal. She was welled versed in Warner history. One of the great things about the Warner tour is that they are very individualized. You can see different sets based on the shows you like. My favorite part was seeing where Gilmore Girls was filmed.
The Food: Living in the city really does mean you can experience numerous food options. I hadn't ever really thought about it until we lived here. There are tons and tons of mom and pop restaurants, there are food trucks, there super fancy places, and more. There are some chain restaurants, but I never really see them because we never think to go to them. We're always looking for something fun and new, and we always find it.
The Parks: It took me a while to be open to venturing out to new places. So finding different parks took us a while, but last week I shared one of my favorite places in LA, Griffith Park. We have been to other great parks, but currently Griffith Park takes the cake. It's amazing that we can drive 10 minutes and hike through a beautiful mini-mountain and over look the city.
There are more great things about LA. While I struggle with the amount of people and traffic, there are so many things to do and experience. What are some of you favorite local places where you live?

Follow along : Facebook / Twitter / Pinterest / Bloglovin / Shop

20 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It is a pretty amazing city. It has so many fun things to do. I have had to adjust to the culture shock, but one can always find the hidden gems.

      Delete
  2. I love the ways you are discovering your city, Samantha! New places (especially bigger cities) can be so overwhelming. I would LOVE to go on some studio tours. More specifically, I'd love to hang out at Pixar for the day. I mean, dream come true.

    I love hanging out downtown in Chattanooga. The Tennessee river separates downtown from the north shore area, and we have a GREAT pedestrian bride (the walnut street bridge) that is my favorite to walk on. You can walk, bike, run, or sit and hang out. My favorite is to grab some gelato from this delicious place called Milk & Honey and go sit on the bridge and watch the sun set over the river. It's breathtaking :)

    Chattanooga is also a super outdoorsy city, which I love. We have TONS of places to go hiking, biking, kayaking. It's my kind of place :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Studio tours are my favorite! We're huge movie and tv fans, so we love the studio tours. Omgosh, Tyler showed me a virtual tour of Pixar once, that place looks amazing! Chattanooga sounds so amazing. We love outdoors stuff. We actually miss it a lot. We really miss kayaking and floating. Which when we talk about floating we sounds like real hicks. Everyone here is so surprised when we say we float down the river on huge rubber tires.

      Delete
  3. So glad you mentioned the food! LA has some incredible food! It's such a melting pot of unique and amazing dishes! You also have to mention the beaches! We have some seriously beautiful beaches ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best food! Right? Ahh, the beaches are amazing too. We don't make it to the beach that often. You have the beach in your backyard, don't you. :)

      Delete
  4. So, I'm totally coming to visit... cool with you? :P I love this--living in the Midwest, I feel like there's nothing to do out here. But I get super happy when I can live vicariously through my bloggy friends in bigger cities!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, any time. :) We're always trying to get people to come visit us. We love the Midwest too. We often miss the Midwest amusements we used to enjoy. I often feel like I'm living vicariously through everyone who lives in the Midwest. :)

      Delete
  5. You already know everything about where I live ;) Just popping in to tell you how rockin your bod looks in that top picture. I mean, good gravy. Care to share your workout routine sometime?? And if it involves sitting on the couch eating little debbies, just, pretend it isn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are to kind! let's remember that this picture was taken in 2012... :) During my bouts of working out I go on run/walks and do P90X. Running does a lot to keep me lean, but I've been doing horrible in that area recently. It's one of my goals to get back into fitness.

      Delete
  6. I really, really, really want to explore LA one day. I've never even been to the west coast, but I think every single photo I see is beautiful! When my parents got married, they rode there bikes all along the west coast! It took them like a month. But anyways, I hope to travel there soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so amazing! We have driven a little bit of the pacific 1 and we had a friend who rode there bike all the way to San Fransisco. LA is a great place to visit if you can find the less touristy places. It's incredibly beautiful State Parks.

      Delete
  7. Okay, I love everything about this! We are heading to LA next Sunday, unfortunately we are going to be in the Anaheim area and I don't think we are going to be able to hit up any of these cool places but two years ago we stayed in Studio City and we were so close to many of these things and didn't do any of them (Jared has a conference so he's busy most of the time we are there, Raeca and I just go to soak up the sunshine for the most part). Maybe the next time we come out we won't be so broke (adoption definitely does that!) and we could actually check some of these out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahaheim is really nice. It's less hectic then LA. I'm sure you will have a wonderful time. :) Studio City is really fun. We crack jokes about seeing Celebrities in Studio City.

      Delete
  8. That last picture! Oh my goodness get that framed!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nate and I want to visit LA so badly!!! Thanks for these tips!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never been to LA but I'm dying to go. I have a lot of friends there and I know I'll have a good time if I go! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has a lot of amazing hidden treasures. It's overwhelming at first, but finding the non-touristy places are the best.

      Delete

**I love reading all your sweet comments and love getting to know every single one of you. I do my best to respond to every comment and will do so via email. If you don't receive a response, you may be a no-reply blogger.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...