January 27, 2014

The Majority, The Lies, The Healing

It seams statistics for marriage have hit a rough patch over the years. Some say over 50% of marriages fail. My parents divorced when I was young. After the age of four my father's presence in my life was non-existent. I fall into the over 50% majority.

Today, isn't about divorce, it's about how circumstances in our lives shape us into who we are and how the enemy will feed us lies that we easily believe. The relationship a father has with his daughter and son, I believe is crucial. Without that relationship we're left broken. In our broken state we are easily deceived.

Lies I believed in my brokenness

1.) I was worthless and without value. I have struggled with this lie my entire life. I have believed that I had to earn my worth and value. Everything had to be perfect, my work had to be perfect, I had to do it right, otherwise I would be worthless. LIE. I have value and worth because I am a child of God. No one can take that away from me. God's love, nothing else, defines my value and worth.

2.) I had to earn acceptance. This lie unfolded in my high school relationship with boys. I fell into a destructive relationship, because I wanted to be accepted and loved, I had to earn that acceptance. LIE. Jesus meets us right where we are. We don't have to earn His acceptance.

3.) Relationships weren't safe and I had to guard myself to keep my heart safe. Because of the hurt I faced when my father left I didn't feel safe in any kind of other relationship. I feared all other relationships would leave me broken. LIE. Friends will love you and continue to love you even through rough times.

I cried as I wrote this post. The lack of relationship with my father, will always hurt my heart. But the relationship I have with Jesus healed my heart. He continues to take my brokenness and shape me into something beautiful, something that will help heal the hearts of others. There are more lies I have struggled with in my life, but these three are ones that I have battled through. These are one's that Jesus has given me victory over. It wasn't until I was in college that I had contact with my father. I was still mad at him at that point and it wasn't until a few years later that I was able to forgive him for not being a part of my life. Forgiveness came when I was able to cry for him, to have compassion for where he was in his life and how he had struggled. I can't ever get back the years I lost with my dad. I won't ever have a strong relationship with him. But I can love him, I can pray for him, and hope the best for him.

What lies are you working to overcome? I've joined Overcome The Lie, to share my own struggles, in hopes to help you through some of yours.
Overcome the Lie exist to empower a generation of women to overcome the lie because Jesus overcame the grave.
Learn & Connect : website // twitter // facebook

 Follow along : Facebook / Twitter / Pinterest / Bloglovin / Shop

22 comments:

  1. love those photos of you as a little girl. sweet friend, thank you for sharing this from you heart today. i know from experience that it's not easy to talk about broken relationships. thank you for speaking the Lord's truth and for what you said about forgiveness. that is something i'm currently working on in a couple relationships in my life. it's so difficult when you are in so much pain, but it is what Jesus has done for us and what he has called us to do as well. xoxo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meg! Forgiveness is tough. I had to spend a lot of time doing forgiveness work and asking the Holy Spirit to work inside me. Jesus is so good and working in us! :) I'll be praying for you!

      Delete
  2. It breaks my heart to hear this. I'm so sorry you had to go through that, but I admire your honesty and the fact that you were able to forgive your father. I agree that the relationship a father has with his children is so important. I am blessed to have a wonderful father, and it's not something I take for granted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amanda, I appreciate your encouragement. It's tough working through the issues of not having a dad, but I feel so much more appreciative of everyone else in my life. :)

      Delete
  3. So beautiful. open. and real.

    You have a beautiful heart. and I loved what you said here " Today, isn't about divorce, it's about how circumstances in our lives shape us into who we are and how the enemy will feed us lies that we easily believe."

    There are all sort of things that can happen in our lives that we cannot control but they shape us and impact us. and Satan will always use that against us. I love the lies you have had to overcome to find the Truth and the HOPE in the Lord!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words! It's tough working through through these kind of issues, but I love how Jesus has shaped me because of it. :)

      Delete
  4. Samantha- Thank you so dearly for sharing your story. Divorce happens all too often these days. After all, I am part of the statistic as well; not as a child of- but one who has divorced. As you said, God loves all.

    ~Katy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katy, thank you so much for sharing that with us. Divorce is hard not matter who you are and God is with us through all our struggles.

      Delete
  5. thank you for sharing your heart with us Samantha!! i love that we serve a God who can heal even the deepest of wounds!! i have believed all of those lies & still struggle with them some today. it's a constant battle, but i'm so thankful for the Lord's provision of his Word & prayer! forgiveness is tough, but so worth it in the end. so glad that you were able to forgive your father! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robyn! I totally agree, I love how God always heals our wounds! Thank you so much for your encouragement!

      Delete
  6. Mmmm....girl, this is so good. Your vulnerability, your openness, your faith in Him? So good. I'll admit that I don't know what divorce feels like and in situations like these I don't always know what to say but I do know that I love your heart and am so glad these are past lies and not current truths in your heart! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kiki! No worries, I've had a long time to work through my issues and I'm so grateful that I have wonderful people in my life now. :)

      Delete
  7. This is so beautiful. Thanks for sharing such intimate things, I know so many people will be so touched by this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for you sweet words of encouragement! I hope other's do find it helpful. :)

      Delete
  8. this is a great post. i blogged for OTL too (http://www.thekriegers.org/2014/01/overcome-the-lie/) but stumbled on your blog through casey's linkup.
    thanks os much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! OLT has such a great mission. I'm so glad everyone is connecting and being encouraged!

      Delete
  9. so beautiful! thanks for being real and sharing your heart! there are so many women out there who totally relate to your story! xo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janene! I think a lot of healing comes when we're able to share our struggles with others.

      Delete
  10. Thanks for sharing Samantha. You are an inspiration ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mia. I'm so glad Jesus can use my story to help others. :)

      Delete

**I love reading all your sweet comments and love getting to know every single one of you. I do my best to respond to every comment and will do so via email. If you don't receive a response, you may be a no-reply blogger.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...