January 3, 2014

4 Dos and Don'ts for New Year's Fitness Resolution

The new year is here and with this new year comes new resolutions. Tyler and I will be headed back tomorrow, but for today you get to hang out with Amanda of The Lady Okie. Which is super exciting because she is ridiculously hilarious and just plan fantastic. So stick around for what she has in store, because it will rock you into fitness resolution success!

 *************************************************************************************************
I'm just going to be honest: As someone who regularly works out, January is the most annoying month of the year. I have my regular gym routine through the winter months, which includes my favorite treadmill and my morning TV shows. Then January hits and all of the sudden my treadmill is being used by someone I've never seen before! And they've not only stolen my treadmill, but they're hogging the TV so can't watch my Boy Meets World reruns!

I grit my teeth and decide not to trip them while reminding myself that in a few weeks, my treadmill will be free again, and the gym will be empty. Why? Because January is the time for resolutions, and according to the statistics, almost half drop out after the first month.

But as much as I am glad to have my treadmill all to myself, I am also sad that so many people had such high hopes for the New Year, only to fall off the wagon after only a few short weeks. 
I'm certainly not claiming to be a resolution expert, and I've definitely had good intentions that didn't pan out. But I've been a runner for going on 4 years now, and I'm so glad Samantha offered me the opportunity to guest post so I could offer you all a few tips for how to make a resolution, specifically in regards to fitness, and actually keep it.

1. DON'T make a specific weekly goal for the entire year at once.

In the grand scheme of life, a year is not a long time, but when you're actually doing the daily grind, a year might as well be forever. With that in mind, don't set yourself up for failure by making a ridiculous fitness resolution like "I will run 3 times a week for the whole year." No.

Instead, I've found it easier to start with a more manageable time frame like a month or even two weeks, as silly as that may sound. Doing this makes your goal appear less daunting. You may not be able to keep up something for 52 weeks, but you can surely do TWO, right? And then just one more after than. And one more after that...
All of the sudden, it's a habit!

Your smaller weekly goals should ultimately help you work toward #2:

2. DO make one large fitness goal for the year.

If you're a runner (or a wanna-be runner), this could be something like run a 5k. Or run a 10k, a half marathon, etc. Maybe your goal is to weigh a certain amount or be able to bench press a certain amount or fit into a certain pair of jeans. 

3. DON'T keep your resolution to yourself. 

Have a goal to hit the gym twice a week? Tell someone about it! Accountability is key. Find a friend to go to the gym with. Sign up to be part of a running group. Join a class at the gym. Working out is much more fun if you have someone to talk about it with.

At the very, very least, check out #4:

4. DO keep a schedule on your fridge.

I post my running schedule on my fridge, and it helps motivate me to see all the checkmarks where I crossed off my workouts. It's easy to "forget" about a workout or sleep in, but having a calendar within sight keeps you focused on your goals, specifically whatever you have as your larger goal (see #2).

Those are just a few dos and don'ts for resolutions. Fitness especially is something a lot of people want to be better at, but it's hard to get into the habit. The best thing to do is to remember to stay focused on your goals and give yourself a break if you mess up. Just because you've missed one or two workouts doesn't mean you should stop!

For those who want to start running in 2014, check out my seven-part running series: How to Start Running
Start with Part 1: Setting Expectations and go from there!

Did you make a fitness resolution this year? What are you going to do to make sure you follow through with it? Any other tips to add about what's worked for you?

 *************************************************************************************************
Fantastic right? And it did rock your fitness socks off didn't! 
Take sometime and connect with Amanda.

8 comments:

  1. This is great! I think a lot of times we don't even make "resolutions" like this because we know deep down we'll fail at them. I like the idea of smaller and more manageable goals! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amanda always provides the best tips! She makes them feel so attainable!

      Delete
  2. love the tip to make smaller goals so it doesn't seem as daunting! that is the best advice i've heard all year! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amanda is such an encourager as a writer and makes it seems so easy. She's the best!

      Delete
  3. Whoever wrote this post is awesome ;)

    ReplyDelete

**I love reading all your sweet comments and love getting to know every single one of you. I do my best to respond to every comment and will do so via email. If you don't receive a response, you may be a no-reply blogger.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...