December 26, 2013

True Confessions: Blogger Edition

Hello Friends! Did you have a lovely Christmas!?! I sure hope so and I hope it's still going too! Today is the Blogger Edition of True Confessions which means I'll answer a slew of questions about my blogging journey. Shout out to Meg and Kiki for tagging me. Here we go!
1) When did you first start blogging and why?
I actually started blogging way back in 2009 when I started my journey in photography. I wanted a place to share my photos and document my process. I mostly blogged photos and wasn't very involved in the community aspect. I quit blogging in the beginning of 2012. I started blogging again March 2013. I wanted to document my creative business journey as well as document life with Husband. I wanted this place to be a place of encouragement. A place to inspire creative living and dream chasing.

2) Have you had any past online presence?
I used to have a full photography website were I offered photography services... does that count?

3// When did you become serious about your blog?
March 2013 when I began my creative business journey. At that time I had quit my day job and basically dove in head first. The rest is history.

4) What was your first blog post?
My very first blog post I ever wrote doesn't exist anymore. When I was in college I was taking a new media class... we all had blogs for the class and we wrote about college and hopes for life after college.  The "first" existing post is about photography, you can find it here. That post was one of my very first photo shoots, when I was shooting with film.

5) What have been your biggest challenges blogging?
Not letting work time spill over into home and personal time. Working from home makes it really easy to work long hours. I try to keep my work hours structured so that doesn't happen.

6) What is the most rewarding thing about blogging?
The community! I think we would all agree. Am I right? It is by far one of the coolest things ever. The community is genuinely encouraging and I have made friends from all over the world. I have been shaped by blogging and the blog community in ways I could have never imagined.

7) What is the most discouraging thing about blogging?
I read somewhere a while back that some bloggers were feeling like the blog community was nothing more then high school cliques, which made me really sad. But I can totally see why they would feel that way. I'm not sure why it happens or how it happens, but I'm sure it does. How do you guys think we could make it better?

8) What is your lasting inspiration or motivation?
Don't compare yourself or your journey with anyone else. I have battled this many times before and in those moments I step back spend some time with Jesus and he brings my heart right back to his. Remember your blog journey is your own. Don't let others journey take away from your own. 

9) What is your blogging dirty little secret?
I don't like to write... it's really hard for me. It's probably good for me because it challenges me in different ways, but I don't like it. My posts will sit for days full of pictures and no words. I see other bloggers and I feel like that throw down pages and pages of writing and I always wonder how they do it.

10) What is your current goal as a blogger?
I have had other bloggers invest in my  journey and I want to be able to do that for others. I have met the sweetest people who have become dear friends and their hearts challenge me to want to share that same kind of encouragement with others. My forever goal above all else is to be a vessel for Jesus, for this place to be a light so he can shine through me. Other random goals can be find here, which include my blogging goals.

11) Have you learned or become passionate about anything through blogging that caught you by surprise?
My blog journey started with a desire to pursue creativity. The longer I blog the more I become passionate about design, which is really exciting. I could spend hours studying all kinds of design from fabric and product design to digital design and visual communication. It's actually one of my goals to learn design.

Did you make it to the end! Props friend, props!  P.S. Why are there 11 questions and not 10?

9 comments:

  1. #7... I sometimes feel like it can get a little weird like that too... I try really hard to follow all kinds of blogs... not just mom blogs or just photography, or just lifestyle.... spread the love! Sometimes my insecurities come out when I want to write something to a single girl who is younger than me, thinking that she's gonna think I'm a weirdo because we don't have anything in common. I do that in all aspects of relationships though... try my best to find ONE thing we are alike in... that's the thing that blooms a friendship!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you should ALWAYS comment if you feel like you should. every comment I read is a blessing and I even love it more when they come from a different point of view and time in life. you have a lot to offer and not just on mom blogs - all blogs!

      Delete
    2. Great thoughts Meg! And great thought Beth! There is always an opportunity to encourage others and build positive community.

      Delete
  2. I can see truth in #7 but unfortunately that is not only in the blog world - the world tends to surround themselves with people they like and push away those they don't like. some bloggers live that way in real life and blog life. but not all blogs are like that. yes - we will always have our closer friends and those we work with best, but there are a lot of welcoming blogs out there (yours is one). I don't think we need to fight against the clicks, we just need to chose to not let others feel isolated when interacting with our blog... :) and i think engaging with your readership is a huge way to do that. XOXOX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are such great thoughts! Thank you so much for sharing and helping to build an encouraging community!

      Delete
  3. That shirt is amazing! You're so cute. Loved this post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That shirt is my favorite! It's definitely the best nerd blog shirt ever!

      Delete
  4. First of all, I looove that shirt. It's so funny and so true for us bloggers. :)

    And I also agree with you on #7. It's crazy how types of blogs can turn into cliques of blogs. Sometimes I feel that way when it comes to commenting on those "huge popular blogs" if you know what I mean. Anyway, like Beth said, it's about being welcoming to all, isn't it?

    So glad you participated, girl! I loved getting to know you (and your blog!) better. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth has such great words of wisdom! I hope that we can continue to build an encouraging community!

      Delete

**I love reading all your sweet comments and love getting to know every single one of you. I do my best to respond to every comment and will do so via email. If you don't receive a response, you may be a no-reply blogger.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...