November 1, 2013

Thankful Project... That Long Distance Thing

Hi friends! Did you hear about Kenzie's Thankful Project? I love the idea behind this project. Being grateful, building community... encouraging each other through our gratitude. So today I decided to exhibit an attitude of gratitude, as Kenzie puts it, and share about someone I am thankful for. When I was thinking about what "person" I wanted to write about many people ran through my mind... Jesus, my mom, Tyler, my brother. I am thankful for so many people. And then I remembered a time in my relationship with Tyler which was really tough, but I am so thankful for it.
Did you know that Tyler and I spent over half of our relationship long distance? It wasn't a measly 6 hours of long distance, it was more like a two day trip. And when I say over half it was over 2 years combined. I was thinking back on that time and remembered how thankful I was for it and how we made it special. That time we spent a part established a strong foundation in our relationship. We learned how to work together, we learned how to communicate, we learned the little things.

We cherished every phone call, every letter, and every visit. Our phone calls were always important, we planned skype sessions, we sent fun gifts, and one time I flew down and surprised him. Where am I going with this... thankfulness.... I'm thankful for Jesus shaping our relationship during that time apart. I'm thankful for Tyler's patience, trust, and ambition. I'm thankful that we both trusted in God to direct our relationship. I'm thankful that we both trusted each other.
Writing these types of posts are hard. Not because I don't cherish the memories, but my brain just doesn't function in words sometimes.... I could write two sentences on thankfulness and call it good. So I'm impressed I wrote as much as I did. 

P.S. The lovely photos from today are our engagement photos, taken by two of my dear friends, Caitlin and Amy.

Who are you thankful for?

Follow on Bloglovin

13 comments:

  1. Oh, my, goodness. First of all, I don't think I've told you how gorgeous you are. Those pictures of you and Tyler are breathtaking! You could seriously model. Anyways, Michael and I did the long distance thing for almost two years while we were in college and it wasn't easy. You're right...you learn to appreciate the calls, the letters, the breaks. I loved hearing your story :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelsea, you are to kind! But your comment made my day! So neat to hear so many others did long distance too! I think it's a great experience and teaches so much!

      Delete
  2. Long distance relationships are so hard, but my husband and I are thankful for the ways we grew because of it. (We were separated California to Tennessee.) Your engagement photos are wonderful, and I completely understand how brains do not function through words sometimes! Mine is like that too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm so glad we have similar brains, glad to know I'm not alone! California to Tennessee is far! We did Missouri to Florida, and Missouri to California.

      Delete
  3. Jim and I were long distance relationship too- basically from the beginning. He lived in Kansas City. I lived in Washington D.C! That was for 3 years. The year of our engagement, I moved back to KC but he was living in Joplin. But, we were thrilled at a 2 hour commute instead :)

    It was so hard, but it was so good all at the same time. I'm so thankful for our relationship too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Three years, wow! I thought 2 years was long! Glad to know you got closer and closer. Tyler and I did our engagement long distance too, Missouri to California. It was tricky, but fun.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful photos! It's wonderful that you were able to get through the long distance. While I've never been in a romantic long distance relationship, I have quite a few long distance friendships so I can relate. Every time we get to see each other is special and we've learned to cherish the moments and how to stay in contact and up to date in each other's lives without seeing each other constantly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, absolutely, even with long distant friendships every time spent together is special.

      Delete
  5. my husband and i dated for three years long distance.. it was so hard, but i think made our relationship stronger in a lot of ways. it certainly made me appreciate every bit of time with him..especially now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, absolutely agree! Long distance definitely makes relationships stronger and lends to building a great foundation!

      Delete
  6. Found you over at The Dwelling Tree!

    I am so very thankful for my fiance! We have been together just under three years, and I would have to say, I feel like the luckiest girl in the world. We did 2 months of long distance while I was away training for work. And not just the measly 6 hours like you say, but a few states. It was tough, but so splendid to come home to!

    PS, I love the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your story sounds so sweet! It's always wonderful to find an amazing guy!

      Delete
  7. That last picture is so pretty! love the sunlight beam. gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

**I love reading all your sweet comments and love getting to know every single one of you. I do my best to respond to every comment and will do so via email. If you don't receive a response, you may be a no-reply blogger.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...