October 31, 2013

The Only Failure in Art is Not Trying

At the beginning of this year I began to contemplate learning to draw and paint. I was captivated by it.  I had watched so many around me create and craft by hand that I was inspired to do the same. I decided I would start with sketching... I thought I should maybe know how to sketch out my ideas before trying to paint them. In order to begin the process I attended a couple Life Drawing classes with Tyler. I had no idea what I was doing and it was so hard. 
Exhibit A: Drawings from my third class. My main goal was to see the shapes and capture the shapes. I felt way in over my head. But Tyler was really encouraging. I was also extremely intimidated because I was sitting in a room full of artist's that Tyler worked with. As I drew I would cover my drawings with my other hand.
Each class was hard. Each class made me feel a little bit like a failure. There were a couple months when Tyler constantly reminded me... "the only failure in art is not trying." Artist are really encouraging, they know how painstaking it can be to get to that one good drawing. And I think there is a saying... it takes 10,000 drawings to get to that one good one...
These are some of Tyler's drawings from class. Do you see what I added in the left picture? I really like including Tyler's drawings because I like to give you guys an idea of how art and drawing are a process.  So... all that to say, I'm trying to get back on track with my sketching and painting. I'll probably be doing a little bit of everything; sketching, canvas painting, and painting in Photoshop.  Painting in Photoshop is probably the least intimidating because I practice by painting over images in order to learn shape, texture, color.

I would love love love for you to join me! What do you think? I'm hopefully going to post progress and such once a week. I'll do my best to devote one post a week to art.


Follow on Bloglovin

6 comments:

  1. You're an excellent budding artist, keep up the good work! I'm excited to see your artwork in the weeks to come!

    http://agodfashionedlife.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Allison! It's definitely a work in progress! :)

      Delete
  2. These are wonderful Samantha! Seeing these drawings make me miss my art class at uni :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mia! Drawing is so hard! I'm always impressed with those with the talent to draw! Hopefully I'll get there too!

      Delete
  3. Your title really hit home!! I'm a writer and sometimes wonder if I should write something, if it will sell. I asked myself the other day if it really mattered, and thankfully the answer that came back to me was no. It needed to be written anyway! Drawing is so hard, you are so good at it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank you! I'm so glad it resonated with you! It's so easy to feel failure in art especially when first starting out. Once I got past that feeling everything was much more fun! :)

      Delete

**I love reading all your sweet comments and love getting to know every single one of you. I do my best to respond to every comment and will do so via email. If you don't receive a response, you may be a no-reply blogger.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...