August 7, 2013

PHOTOGRAPHY BASICS : COMPOSITION

I decided to add a Part III and a Part IV to the Basic Photography Tips series. Today, for Part III, I'll go over composition. Next week, in Part IV, I'll go over photography your products. To catch up on Part I and II, go here.

Composition has taken me a long time to learn and I am still learning it. I'm not one of those people who just have an eye for composition, it is something I have had to work at. Husband has helped tremendously in teaching me composition. There are so many aspects of composition that can be learned. I'm going to share the one's I use most often.

The Rule of Thirds: Avoid centering your subject. Balance the composition by placing the subject in the vicinity of one the the four lines.
Framing: Frame you subject with elements near by. This helps to draw to eye to the subject and give a sense of depth.
Leading Lines: Objects that create lines in your image help to draw your eye to the main subject of the image. The lines below created by the crops draw you eye directly to the silo and barn and help to keep your eye from wondering.
Negative Space: Ovoid negative space. Fill the your camera's frame. Negative space will draw your eye away from the main subject and leave the viewer distracted.
Remember that photography is subjective and the rules for photography can be broken. Keep experimenting with different photography compositions. Negative space, for example, can be used to draw the eye in different ways, not just to distract it.

Until next time:
- Use the above mentioned composition techniques and take some time this week to experiment with composition.
- Practice, Practice, Practice.

What are composition techniques you use?
How has incorporating composition techniques changed your photography?

Follow on Bloglovin

3 comments:

  1. These are great tips. I used to be able to identify a great photograph...but, I didn't know why I thought it was good. It wasn't until I took my first photography class (35mm B+W) in college that I really learned why. These photography "rules" were the first thing taught. A few other "rules" were, repeating forms and book ends. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I picked up most of my photography "how to" in college as well. There are so many things to learn about composition. I feel I have only scratched the surface of what photography can offer.

      Delete
    2. I agree, there is so much I don't know!

      Delete

**I love reading all your sweet comments and love getting to know every single one of you. I do my best to respond to every comment and will do so via email. If you don't receive a response, you may be a no-reply blogger.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...