June 4, 2013

Behind The Name

Yesterday morning after I finished my Bible Study I was flipping through my Bible Dictionary and decided to turn to "Elah." About 4 years ago I decided to pursue photography and I needed a business name. I thought through lots of different names; I'm sure I came up with a few, but none of them felt right. I made lists and thought about different things I liked. Then I remember sitting down and thinking about God and thinking about things that reminded me of God. One thing stayed with me about that time and it was trees. There is something about trees that remind me of God. They're are strong, they provide shade, shelter, protection, and even food. When the wind blows through the trees they feel very gentle too.
 After that I knew I wanted the name to have something to do with trees, but I wanted it to be a little more original then just, "tree." I remember sitting at my computer one day doing research trying to come up with a name and then I stopped. I hadn't yet asked God what he wanted the name to be, so in that moment I prayed and asked him. A minute later, while doing research I found it. Elah. "Oak," "Mighty Tree," or "terebinth." The name "Elah" has stayed with me since.

So back to yesterday morning, I wanted to share some of my favorite Elah meanings.
 - A valley where Saul and his army set up battle lines against the Philistines.  {Saul and the Israelites assembled and camped in the Valley of Elah and drew up their battle line to meet the Philistines.} I Samuel 17:2 
- The valley runs east and west just north of Socoh. There David defeated Goliath. {The priest replied, “The sword of Goliath the Philistine, whom you killed in the Valley of Elah, is here; it is wrapped in a cloth behind the ephod. If you want it, take it; there is no sword here but that one.” David said, “There is none like it; give it to me.”} I Samuel 21:9

So there you have it, a small glimpse behind the name.

3 comments:

  1. I love this! Just the other day I was wondering what "Elah" meant, it's fun to read the thinking behind this! You are so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Eden! Thank you for the encouragement. I would love to hear about where "Our Apple Red Happiness," came from!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Found this post via your FAQ page via your "About" page. Samantha scavenger hunt! I didn't know about this meaning behind your blog and shop name, but I love it. Glad I found this post!

    ReplyDelete

**I love reading all your sweet comments and love getting to know every single one of you. I do my best to respond to every comment and will do so via email. If you don't receive a response, you may be a no-reply blogger.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...