May 16, 2013

Today is a New Day

Yesterday I felt very defeated.  Sometimes I let my brain get the better of me. I get caught up in everything I'm not doing. "I should be doing this, this and this." If I haven't completed my unrealistic list of "must do's," I allow myself to feel defeated. I have to remind myself, that it's okay to not have it all figured out right now, that it's a slow process and in time with small steps, I will learn more.

Yesterday, I worked on a number of projects, none of which I thought, "yea, that's it, that looks great." It was more like, "that doesn't look quite right," "that didn't turn out like I was hoping." And with two particular projects, I wasn't able to figure out how to get it like I wanted.

My work days are outlined on my calendar and there two specific tasks that keep glaring at me, because I have yet to get to them. That has been hard, because I feel like I should be figuring that stuff out. That is were I get stuck in my unrealistic to do list and remind myself it's a slow process. 

Husband asked me last night why I love sewing so much. After I told him, I was able to put it simply, "it's forgiving." I get really excited about designing new items and then figuring out how to make it. I don't use patterns, they just don't work really well in my brain. I sketch what I want, spend some time thinking about how I think it will be sewn together and then I give it a go. Often times, the first one doesn't turn out how I want, so I try again. During round two I sometimes get the outcome I want, but sometimes I need a round three. With sewing I allow myself to not get it right, right away.

So really, with sewing, I'm much more forgiving of myself. I don't have to get it right, I don't have to like it either, I just have to keep trying. I can sew something, not like, take out a seam and keep going. I can start a project, not like it, scrap it, and start over.

Husband reminded me that the rest of life is like that too, not just sewing. I've always had a tendency to want to get things right all the time, sewing has been one of the things that I allowed myself not to.
That is Husband as a wee-little lad. Isn't he so cute! These photos were apart of one of the projects I started yesterday, so I'm really excited once I get it figured out.
This is how my day is beginning today, I'm confident that it will be a better day. : )

"You give me your shield of victory, and your right hand sustains me; 
you stoop down to make me great." - Psalm 18:35

No comments:

Post a Comment

**I love reading all your sweet comments and love getting to know every single one of you. I do my best to respond to every comment and will do so via email. If you don't receive a response, you may be a no-reply blogger.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...