April 4, 2013

Slowly Feeling Like Home

When Husband and I first moved here, it was hard, it was very hard. I was pushing against the culture difference with everything I could. I simply wanted it to feel like home, which home for me is Joplin. I part of me in past experiences would get mad. Not yell or throw things mad, just mad. But in this case I never got mad, I was just very sad and very overwhelmed. When we first arrived I could very easily point out everything I did NOT like about living here; the traffic, the over population, the lack of "country space," the lack of parking lots, etc. etc. However, today as I was walking to the grocery store and I was reminded about all the things I now enjoy about where we live. Now don't get me wrong, there are things that are still very hard for me and things that aren't my favorite, but it was nice to be able to think about our life now and reflect on the good things God has provided and the great opportunities and doors he has opened for us.

So I wanted to share some of my favorite things about living in Burbank. Technically our address is Glendale, but a majority of what we do is in Burbank and nobody actually knows where Glendale is. :) My list below is in no particular order.

1. We hike every Saturday morning with friends. We wake up at 8:00am, Husband makes breakfast and we're usually hiking by 8:40ish. When we first started hiking it was so hard, I was so out-of shape, but let's be honest, I still am out of shape. However, my body is now use to the hike, so I no longer feel like passing out. I enjoy the trek up the mountain and things I've learned about how to make it up the mountain easier. One of the things I've learned is that Sunha and I can't talk when we go up steep sections of the mountain so that we can breathe instead. The guys however can chat the whole time. The mountain is also quiet; there aren’t a lot of quiet places in the city. Also, once you get to the top, whatever projects you have going on or stresses or concerns you may have are left at the bottom of the mountain. There was one time we hiked the mountain on a cloudy/foggy day and as we climbed the mountain the city disappeared. It was amazing. I love climbing the mountain because it's a special time with God too. You can't help but notice all the amazing things he does when you’re on the mountain.
 photo Hiking.jpg
2. I can walk to the grocery store. I never thought something simple like walking to the grocery store would be on this lists, but what can I say. There's just something nice about being able to walk to the store. I think I may like it so much simply for the walking part and that it is so convenient.

3. Husband and I don't eat out often, but when we do, we often eat at places that we never ate at back home. On Saturday's after our hike we usually eat at Tony's Deli a little Mom&Pop shop that sells the best deli sandwiches and potato salad. Another place we go is Sharky's. Both are great places to eat, and relatively cheap, probably because we always share.
 photo Tonys.jpg
4. While we have a tendency to spend our weekends working on home projects, it's really nice that there is usually always fun and free stuff to do in the Burbank area. In February we went to the opening night of "The Ladies of Animation" art gallery, it was really cool! We also went and checked out all the locations were The Office was filmed, that was great fun too!
 photo Gallery2.jpg
5. We have a great Life Group and great friends. They are wonderful individuals and I greatly appreciate sharing life with them and having the opportunity to pray for one another as we seek to enrich our relationship with Christ and each other. We have also been blessed to have amazing experiences through the kindness and sharing of our friends.
 photo Disney.jpg
 6. I love our little home. We have slowly made our little apartment warm and cozy and I love having people over and sharing our space with them.
 photo Home.jpg
 My hope is that this list will continue to grow. Maybe I'll do another post in a couple months, listing some of my new favorite things. Come visit me so I can share them with you. : )

No comments:

Post a Comment

**I love reading all your sweet comments and love getting to know every single one of you. I do my best to respond to every comment and will do so via email. If you don't receive a response, you may be a no-reply blogger.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...