March 27, 2013

Costume Life Drawing I

Today I went to my first Costume Life Drawing Class. Every Wednesday at Husband’s work they have a 2 hour Costume Life Drawing Class and today I decided I would try it out. I met Husband at his work at noon and we ate lunch together and then went to the class at 12:30pm. I think they said it’s non-structured, because there is no instruction. There where fancy art benches set up in the room and sitting on top of the benches were these other fancy super large art clip boards. Husband probably knows the technical terms for everything I just mentioned, but he’s not here, so I’ll just call them “fancy art things.” The model stood in front of the class on these large wooden boxes. There were a couple of different boxes of different sizes that she could use to get into different poses.
 photo Blog9.jpg
When we first started Husband explained to me a little bit about what would happen and I watched him draw for a little bit before I got started. I really had no idea what I was doing and found myself getting discouraged, but I kept trying. The model did a variety of poses all in different time increments. She started doing 30 second poses, then 1 minute poses, then 2 minute poses, then 5 minute poses. I’ll share with you Husband’s sketches first so you can actually see what they are supposed to look like and then I’ll share mine.
 photo Blog1.jpg

 photo Blog2.jpg

 photo Blog3.jpg
In Husband’s 2 minute pose, I added a big messing bun to one of his sketches!
 photo Blog4.jpg
So now that you have a sense of how Life Drawing should go, let’s take a look at mine.
 photo Blog5.jpg

 photo blog6.jpg
During the one minute session, I got a little discouraged, so I tried to draw a Coca Cola bottle.
 photo Blog7.jpg
During the two minute session, I also tried drawing a cup with a Coca Cola bottle on it, and my sketch in the upper left hand corner, I drew from looking at Husband’s sketching instead of the model. It was really hard to see lines and shapes in the model. I felt like that was what I was supposed to be looking for, but it was really hard.
 photo Blog8.jpg
This last picture, Husband did hand over hand with me to draw the first sketch on the left and then on the right I tried to do what he showed me. I skipped the 5 minute poses.

All in all, I had a great time and was really encouraged by seeing what the other artist were drawing. It was really cool! I hope to go again next time.

2 comments:

  1. This is really good! Y'all have got talent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jenna! I love your encouragement! I appreciate how encouraging everyone is, because I don't always feel talented. :)

    ReplyDelete

**I love reading all your sweet comments and love getting to know every single one of you. I do my best to respond to every comment and will do so via email. If you don't receive a response, you may be a no-reply blogger.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...