May 27, 2011

IN THIS MOMENT : JOPLIN TORNADO

This is my home town. The following images were taken after the EF5 tornado that struck Joplin, MO. Sunday, May 22, 2011. Here is my story.Sunday evening… five o’clock something… the tornado sirens go off.  Huddled in the closet… holding the door tight… praying… windows breaking… debris hitting the house… trees, large beautiful trees hitting the ground. Exit closet… start crying… call Tyler… drop call… look outside… trees uprooted out of the ground… CIAOS. Not a very good story, I know, but that’s how it felt.



Some the photos that I shared were taken right after the tornado hit. A couple blocks south of my home is (was) a small retirement home.  The sadness that hovered amongst the individuals that were desperately seeking to find others amongst the rubble left me speechless. As I walked down the street, I did nothing but stare in devastation. So many stories have surfaced since that tornado. My story is one of blessing; I still have my car, I still have a bed to sleep in, I still have my job.  Not everyone has those things.



One of the most beautiful things that came from the devastation of this tornado has been watching the community of Joplin come together along with others around the nation to support each other.

Photobucket
My house after the storm. We are so blessed to only have minor damage.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

8 comments:

  1. there really are no words
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you and your family are safe Sam!! The images are so heartbreaking to see.
    Candice L.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tears.... Prayers from 64057...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry!!!!!!! I have no words!!!!! But I am glad your your family is OK!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Sam! What a blessing that your family and house was only damaged a little. I will be Praying for Joplin.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sam..this last pic is Bobby's best friend's family's house!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. This is what Moore looked like. Super scary.

    ReplyDelete

**I love reading all your sweet comments and love getting to know every single one of you. I do my best to respond to every comment and will do so via email. If you don't receive a response, you may be a no-reply blogger.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...